back to article T-Mobile to revamp tariffs

T-Mobile has confirmed it is to introduce new 18-month and two-year pay monthly mobile tariffs on 1 February. The contract period missing from that sentence is ’12-month’ – these are expected to be ditched by the cellco. Instead, the longer-length tie-ins will come with a free “booster” – a choice of unlimited texts, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vitani

Good-bye Flext

"it’s very easy to choose what you want" - isn't that _exactly_ what Flext allows you to do? Isn't that what they're getting rid of? Am I missing something?

I joined T-Mobile for two reasons: the Android (G1) and Flext (by far the best mobile package to have ever existed). When my contract comes up for renewal, I will not be staying with them.

Well done, you've lost yourself a customer.

PS. I don't like Chinese food.

1. Alan Thompson
      Go

T-Mobile US

I have T-Mobile in the US and they just updated there tariffs here in a similar way. However, I was allowed to maintain my existing tariff because it's "grandfathered" until I choose to change my plan - even if I upgrade my phone. However, if I change to one of the new tariffs I can NEVER change back to the old one. Is that not how it is in the UK - you keep what you have indefinitely unless you cancel service or change to one of the new plans?

1. Kevin Fairhurst
        Thumb Up

Same in UK

If you're already on Flext, you can stay on Flext. Simples.

1. some vaguely opinionated bloke
          Alert

Sort of...

T'missus got a letter from T-Mobile today, stating that the "My Faves" tariff (unlimited calls to 5 numbers) at £25/month was being pulled halfway through her 24 month contract, and she was being moved on to Flext 60 at £60 a month, but there was no option for unlimited landline calls and no option to take any other current tariff.

Contract was cancelled shortly after the postman left the street, along with many other customers according to the customer services staff...

2. Was Steve
    Thumb Down

Chinese take-away?

I don't remember ever being gouged at any Chinese take-away... Extreme fail t-mo...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Kevin Fairhurst
      WTF?

Erm, why?

If you're already on a super duper plan, you can stay on that plan, even if you upgrade your phone!

4. Fogcat
    Thumb Down

And what about the other numbers?

And will they be changing their exorbitant (even compared to othe mobile companies) charges for calls to 0870 numbers and including "local" 0845 numbers in the inclusive minutes?

1. Arnie Sintheshed

Actually, Fogcat...

...calls to 08** numbers have already been included in Flext allowances for more than a year.

1. Tezfair

Actually, your wrong

I have just checked though my flext invoice for the last few months and ALL 08xx numbers are 'Outside Allowance'

1. Kevin Fairhurst

Ahh...

but that depends on WHEN you signed up to Flext. More than a year ago, and you'll be on the OLD Flext plan, which means you pay for ALL 08xx numbers. Less than a year ago and you'll have signed up to Flext 2009, which includes SOME 08xx numbers as part of your allowance. Time to change plan while you can?

5. Shinobi87
    Thumb Down

poor deal

what a crap deal, Im with 02 I got an n86 free of charge, £30 a month tariff that's unlimited(yes actually unlimited) web, 900 mins and 1200 texts! oh and this is after o2 tightened their belts on offers. Hopefully they will take Oranges deals when they merge as they have always been better than T-mobiles.

6. Paul Shirley
    Unhappy

and so it carries on

The endless game of hide&seek we have to play with the carriers never ends. The 1st carrier to abandon bundles and simply charge a fair price for what you use will make a killing. Bundles only 'work' now because the cost of falling off your bundled allowance is punitive.

Separating the pigs from the trough ain't going to be easy though ;(

7. Cliff

Well that's the end of me then...

I joined T-Mo 5 years ago for my first (WinMo) smartphone, they had some tempting tariffs, and every 18 months they would sweet-talk me into another 18 months with some decent discounts.

This looks like a pretty bad deal from here - 18 months is a long time in phone technology, 24 months is like forever. My handset will be not just obsolete but physically worn out by then!

I can only imagine Orange want to kill off the T-Mo brand, but keep it just alive enough to not have to hand over their share of spectrum back to OFCOM. This is a great time to set up a decent MVNO as there will be a sudden rush from T-Mo I'm sure.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coreection

Just a correction to the prices on here, seems to be some confusion between the 18 month and 24 month ones. For example, 100 minutes and 100 texts (plus a booster) is 10 quid a month on 24 month, not 15 as reported.

Also, just a little secret from T-Mob, all win mob and android phones will include unlimited Internet for free (not even counting as your booster!) on the mew tariffs. Is not all bad :-)

From a cowardly T-Mob employee!

9. Richard Hodgson
    Thumb Down

Eh?

So basically they're making their tariffs less attractive? After negotiating my new contract last year, I ended up paying just under £25 a month for 800 free minutes, unlimited texts, and their web and walk data plan, which suits my needs and wallet perfectly.

I'm certain that when June rolls about, I'll be reconsidering my provider if they keep this funny business up.

10. Eddy Ito
    Alert

Stilton or Camembert perhaps

You know to go with that whine? Have a look on this side of the pond.

@T&T = 2 years, 900 minutes is ~$60 (~£37) /mo. Another $5 (~£3) for 200 texts or pay per at $0.20 /text, $0.30 /pic.

Verizon = 2 years, 900 minutes is the same $60 /mo. and either add $20 for unlimited texts or pay per $0.20 /text and $0.25/pic.

T-mob = no contract, unlimited minutes and texts, you guessed it, the same $60 but you have to pay full fare for the phone. Want cheaper phones? 2 year, 1000 minutes is $50 /mo and unlimited messaging is another $10 bringing it back to... $60.

Sure lower price plans can be had with 450 - 500 minutes for $40 but it would be nice to get into the $20-30 range and not have to be 65 years old.

Hmm... tough choices. Oh yeah, @T&T lets the minutes you don't use this month become even more minutes you probably won't use next month. All this before Uncle Sam and the local governor get their cut. Now about that cheese icon?

11. pctechxp
    Joke

Last time I checked....

Chinese takeaway was a lot tastier than mobile phone tariffs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like