back to article Whirlpool allows old stains to linger on Kitchenaid.com site

Domestic appliance manufacturer Whirlpool has come under fire for failing to clean up a malware infection on one of its sites, months after it was notified of a problem by UK anti-virus firm Sophos. Sophos tried for months to clean-up its Kitchenaid.com website, without success, before going public on the problem on Friday. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SirTainleyBarking
    FAIL

Ha!

Having just had google ads syndication kicking up a trojan warning on the Kaspersky program running on my machine........

its not uncommon

2. ben 29
    Thumb Down

@Sir Tainly

False positives are, in this instance, Kaspersky's friend...

B.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Whirlpool?

It will all come out in the wash.

4. Mark Boothroyd

redirect their domain

There aught to be some process in place to shut sites down.

i.e. Find a virus etc. So tell the site. Site has x number of days to clean up. If the site still isn't clean a couple of days before x runs out, send a final warning. If site is still not clean on day x, redirect their domain to a holding page stating that the site contains malicious software, with an option to continue to the site if you accept the risks.

1. heyrick Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I agree

If sites can be taken down for copyright infringement, then surely it would be equally valid for a site to be taken down for wilful negligence (as in after the <x> days of warning).

No holding page, just delist it completely.

5. Danny 14
    FAIL

just delist them

If they get delisted or on peoples email and domain blacklists they will react fairly quickly.

6. JohnG

Outsourced?

Have they outsourced their IT? The cheapest of three quotes gets the job, all the expensive in-house people are made redundant and some underpaid and inexperienced guys in India are left in charge. What could go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

The man from delmonte

he say Yes!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

The man from bangalore says:

"How am I helping you?"

"You is just having to turn it off and on again"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Let me check into it

If it's not a false positive, a careful approach with stand and handheld mixers should see that sucker wiped out :)

Beer - because that's what I'll get as a reward :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Is it a coincidence...

That the reliability of their website is about the same as that of their appliances?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

... Does it *Blend?*

10. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

I prefer Miele

Kitchenaid/Whirlpool's web site lives up to the standard set by their products, IMHO. Miele, whilst expensive, does a superb job, last for years and their web site is as clean as their products output.

11. 0765794e08
    Joke

Whirlpool....

.... trust them to make a hash of it...

12. KitchenAid

On Behalf of KitchenAid

We very much appreciate the alert, and remain fully committed to ensuring that our website is secure.

The site was taken offline once those responsible for its security were fully apprised of the situation.  We have taken corrective actions and the site is now free of the malware script responsible for setting off antivirus alerts.  Analysis of the malware by our support team indicates that users were at no risk prior to its removal.

Our website users, and their security and satisfaction, are very important to us.  Again, we thank you for alerting us to this situation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like