back to article UK.gov stacking up gang of clouds

The government's CIO has said he expects the public sector to use commercial cloud computing services as well as the 'G Cloud'. Government chief information officer John Suffolk said that organisations will make use of generally available clouds as well as the environment being designed specifically for the government. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Nothing like a good laugh before lunch

Nothing like making a headline grabbing statement that has no connection to the realities of:

a) Legislation

b) Government procurement cycles and bid risks.

c) CESG.

d) etc.

Ah well there' a passing band waggon lets all jump on.

Still he might be lucky.

2. zooooooom
    FAIL

So this government

that doesn't seem able to implement a database or two, is designing a cloud. marvelous. whats it for, and how do I get the expression 'cloud cuckoo land' into this post post meaningfully ?

3. Steven Raith

It'll never happen.

Having worked with upstream suppliers for the Govt, it'll never get beyond the planning stage.

If it does somehow get past that, they'll completely cock up the implementation.

Shame, as the concept is pretty good and sensible, and makes a lot of sense.

Steven R

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bad Idea

Nice to see our Govt. IT strategy jumping onto the latest unproven immature hype bandwagon.

If they promise it won't be used for personal data storage then fair enough. But in my opinion the cloud is not yet proven fit for the storage of personal info for en-mass mass general business use

Cloud providers won't allow customer audit's of their facilities

Going from a small outfit to cloud massively increases the attack footprint

Plagued with uncertainties about where your data is at any one time, more specifically what legal jurisdiction it's in, and under what laws who has access to it at that moment in time

The US Patriot Act gave them rights to pretty much at whim bust down the doors of any data centre and walk out with a rack of servers for examination. Would I trust my whole business, and all it's data to an offshore cloudy data centre that i've never even seen, subject to laws I don't know or don't understand? NO WAY!

The fact that so many are jumping on this bandwagon just confirms what a bunch of herd following, trend jumping thoughtless overpaid fat cat incompetents our CIO's really are.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Pouring Oil on the Fire to Douse the Flames?

"So this government ....that doesn't seem able to implement a database or two, is designing a cloud. marvelous. whats it for, and how do I get the expression 'cloud cuckoo land' into this post post meaningfully ?" ......zooooooom Posted Friday 22nd January 2010 16:53 GMT

Err, what's it for? ..... how about so that they can try to retain Power and Control whenever kicked out of Parasitic Office because they are Incompetent with Power and Control Controls, zooooooom? Does that sound about right?

Follow the Money is always the Simplest and Best Way to find out who is Pulling Strings and who would be Thinking to Lead with Powerful Controls. And it is also always the case that, even though it is Relative and some Big Sums will be QuITe Small in terms of the Bigger Picture, and the Bigger Pictures they would be trying to Control, whenever those Big Sums are QuITe Small are the Controls only as Peanuts for Monkeys, and they will Power Nothing, which has been the Story of Governments which are Spinning Tales for ...... oh, since forever since they began just Spinning Tales.

The Simple Solution of Course is to Buy in a Really Well Made Already Working Well and Better with Every New Working Beta GCloud Intelligently Designed by Experts in the Field rather than hoping that Political Appointees and Government Stoolies newly invented and installed can Produce anything Special and of Lasting Value in a Field which would Recognise their Appointments and Existence as Anathema.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Bad Idea Posted Monday 25th January 2010 10:16 GMT

AC,

Your post identifies that present arrangements, with them having rights to pretty much at whim bust down the doors of any data centre and walk out with a rack of servers for examination, are insecure ........ and thus is plagued with uncertainties about where your data is at any one time, more specifically what legal jurisdiction it's in, and under what laws who has access to it at that moment in time.

In fact, presently is the law and justice a banana and a tool of oppression and suppression, which is unfortunate, inconvenient and inevitably increasingly quickly self defeating as an effective tyrannical weapon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like