back to article AMD preps for two-fisted two-socket catfight

AMD is hoping that its next move in the server space will bring it success in the massive two-socket market. In a conference call with reporters and analysts after his company released its fourth-quarter 2009 financial results, AMD president and CEO Dirk Meyer cited figures that identified the two-socket arena as where "75 to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Owen Williams
    Flame

I love AMD to bits but...

I want 4 sockets and more. Can someone lower the heat output on CPUs so much so that we can start stacking them? Twin towers of 4 6-8 core CPUs in a 1U pizza box. I've got some video encoding to do if I'm going to support HTML5 everywhere...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: I love AMD to bits but...

AMD will still have something for you but it will probably cost more if the market reacts as AMD predicts.

The belief is that Magny-Cours will consolidate much of the 4-socket market (currently 4 sockets, 16 threads) to 2-sockets (M-C will provide 2-sockets, 24 threads) - we will soon see.

3. Nate Amsden

were?

were in a monopolistic environment? still are as far as I can tell. AMD should of been paid 5-10x what Intel paid them. Intel wrote that payment off in one quarter, YEARS of damage written off in one quarter. That is not a deterrent to not do those things again, it's an encouragement.

As for stacking 4 socket systems in 1U systems this has been available for some time now from some vendors - supermicro for example - http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1041/AS-1041M-T2.cfm

Or go with quad socket blades for better power efficiency. For me, the premium paid for quad socket is not worth the cost, would rather have two dual socket.

4. Neoc

"Sock it to Intel"?

Ah, laddie, you missed a wonderful pun. Surely it should read "Socket to Intel"?

5. mhenriday

LLet us hope that things go well for AMD

- this is a market in which more competition and more significant players are desperately needed !...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like