back to article Clinton throws down the gauntlet to China over Google

Hillary Clinton has demanded that Beijing investigate the widespread hacking attack on Western businesses that has prompted Google to threaten to leave the country. The US Secretary of State made the demand in a speech on internet freedom in Washington DC, in which she claimed the free movement of information strengthened …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito
    Coat

more importantly

Was the gauntlet made of china?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

As my Chinese colleagues like to say

The way the Chinese People tell if the Chinese Government is lying is that it is speaking.

1. Blain Hamon
      Paris Hilton

I was about to say...

Save for diplomatic posturing (which it assuredly is), what's the point of asking China to investigate?

Assuming they were behind it, they'll just claim it was by some rogue tibetans or something, forge up some evidence, and use it as an excuse to do even more of their usual hijinks. And if they weren't behind it, there's little discernible way to differentiate between the previous possibility.

1. dan 16

That's not me, its them

How come Tibetans can do such an attack?

Internet has been shut down in Tibet to prevent ... hold down a second - that's a good idea. Lets retablish Internet in Tibet and accuse that axis of evil.

Alternatively, there are a couple of Ouigours in Gantanamo - they are not guilty (just visiting) but now that I am thinking about it

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yanks

"Prayers will always travel on higher networks. But connection technologies like the Internet and social networking sites should enhance individuals' ability to worship as they see fit... We must work to advance the freedom of worship online just as we do in other areas of life."

I believe in a man that lives in the sky and gets angry when you wank!

Where do you guys find these people?

4. J 3
    Coat

Hillary Clinton has demanded...

...and China will answer "up yours, bitches, or we stop the money flow!"

But in a diplomatic way, of course.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Clinton does herself a mischief and God, badly . What a pathetic loser.

"Prayers will always travel on higher networks. But connection technologies like the Internet and social networking sites should enhance individuals' ability to worship as they see fit... We must work to advance the freedom of worship online just as we do in other areas of life."

Oh dear...... that was real stupid Hillary, bringing worship and prayer, which is synonymous with preaching and religion to CyberSpace. Are you quite Mad, dear? It is Technology, and Brains and Alien Thoughts Shared Ruled ITs Universes, or are you suggesting that you worship a Great Alien Being who listens to prayers on higher networks ..... which would be surely confirmation of the earlier question, dear.

Wow, a Crazy 67th United States Secretary of State ...... http://tinyurl.com/CrazyGal ..... which explains so much.

6. heyrick Silver badge
    Grenade

Higher networks

"Prayers will always travel on higher networks."

IPv6? So _that_ is why I can't get it working on XP. I can resolve an IPv6 DNS address, but can't connect. Now I know to just close my eyes and...

...oh, wait, that's not working either. Definitely a protocol mismatch here.

[I'm giving this the seriousness it deserves; can't Americans say anything to the media without mentioning or alluding to God; is it possible?]

7. Mike VandeVelde
    Big Brother

pot yadda kettle yadda yadda

"Clinton reeled a list of actions by oppressive regimes against bloggers and the like"

I don't suppose she included things like the FBI instigated raid on RackSpace because of IndyMedia back in 2004 that took down hundreds of innocent websites as well, or the way Facebook censors pictures of mothers breastfeeding, or the way thousands of USA citizens are fined thousands of dollars for sharing music, or the that the USA is right now pressuring other countries to cut file sharers off of the internet entirely through the ACTA negotiations. Thought not.

Let's see. In China you are blocked from certain websites that supposedly "threaten political stability". In the west they are working on blocking you from the internet entirely if you share music. Which sounds more "oppressive"?

I think it's more a case of "We've worked *SO* *DAMNED* *HARD* to hype up our friendly neighbourhood citizen monitoring services like Facebook and Twitter and Youtube and Flickr, literally to the point where people can't read any magazine or newspaper or receive any news broadcast without hearing mention of how social media is the future and everyone not on board is a dinosaur, and then China comes along to spoil the party by blocking them and forcing their citizens to use their own home grown alternative citizen monitoring services. Stop stop! How are we supposed to kech dem terrists wink wink nudge nudge"

Give me a break.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahahahaaaahahaha - dumb and dumber

This keeps getting better and better. Now Google is being cut off from news sources it obviously seeks to generate the news itself.

First off, I know the egos of these guys are enormous even for US calibrated measures of "normal", but hello. A group of Silicon Valley repetitive stain sufferers threatening a full sovereign government the size of China? The only conceivable reaction to that must have been outright laughter, followed by a fun session composing a response. I bet they have been drawing straws on who was allowed to deliver it, and bets must have been made on that person being able to keep a straight face throughout. The right response would have been "Let me hold the door for you on your way out", and I suspect that hasn't happened because it's more interesting for the Chinese to play this one out and see what's *really* behind it.

Secondly, sure. You're a US company and nobody has been along asking you to help out with data gathering. Google, the biggest privacy threat on the planet (even MS has never dared this one). And you go to China, and employ Chinese people, and you expect this to be clean and espionage free. They would not need to do a remote attack, sorry, and if they're that capable they would have hidden origin too. They are NOT stupid. These are the people that take a microchip and copy it - ever tried that? Umm, and the pot - kettle thing gets in the way, who sponsors that thing called "Echelon" again? Oh, but you don't spy on your own? Carnivore? FBI getting data with a Post-It (page 45 of the report)?

Thirdly, go uncensored? Ah, yes, you're not doing to well in China. So breaking the local law is the way to fix this? This from the company who censored CNET after they turned the tables on Eric Schmidt? Interesting idea, but at least it explains events in Switzerland and Japan as well. The bad news is that it won't work. US laws do not apply abroad, full stop, especially not if you piss off the locals.

The longer I look at this the clearer it is that the detected hacks were merely a pretext, an excuse. No idea what's really going on, but it's not some Silicon Valley dudes whining about a hack, unless they had "something to hide"..

This is a game at a much higher level, and I think we haven't seen all the pieces of it yet.

(yes, I'm paranoid, but simple answers do not appear to fit events).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Perhaps ...

... a better approach is to formally request co-operation of Chinese government, administration and officials in tracking down a cyber attack that seemed to be at least transiently located in China?