back to article 2010 will be 'boom time for Apple'

The final three months were a bumper period for Apple, a long-time company watcher has claimed. In a note sent to investor clients yesterday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said US Mac retail sales were 26 per cent higher in Q4 2009 than they were in Q4 2008. The retail numbers come from market watcher NPD. That's better …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Boffin

A contrarian writes...

I hereby declare this to be the peak of Apple's powers and that it shall now be on the wane.

No, no. Not some anti-fanboi rant - it's just standard investment common sense. Look, when you see adverts aimed at the general public for such-and-such an investment (like, commercial property in 2007) you can assume that everyone in the know has already had the opportunity and that the only people left to buy it is Joe Public. There's no-one else after that, so no new money to prop up the price.

Similarly, when analyst types state what should be common sense it usually means common sense has gone walkabout. Two analysts in two days making pro-Apple comments? If I were Jobs I'd be quaking in my iBoots.

1. studentrights
      Jobs Halo

Apple will succeed where Microsoft has failed...

The tablet will open whole new markets to Apple. The medical fields will have a use for a truly useable tablet. Big money. Its easy to see the possibilities in business as well as with consumers. Sorry, but Microsoft and its partners have failed where Apple will succeed.

Apple will ascend while Microsoft declines over the next decade. We are witnessing the rebirth of the vertical business model and the taming of the horizontal in IT.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bummer...

One of my biggest regrets is not buying Apple stock in the 90s... :(

1. Adam T

indeed

Or back in fall '08, where they went under $80...

3. Ted Treen
    Jobs Halo

Cue vituperation...

...from Windows fanbois, the BallmerJugend and other acolytes of the dark side.

Apple will continue to ignore them and continue to flourish.

Cue hissy fits & stamping of little feet (with a bit of chair-throwing, too!)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

I wonder if this is people with PPC Macs wanting to upgrade their OS to the latest version? I would like to upgrade my 10.4.11 Mac to Snow Leopard, a snip at £25, but I can't because it's a G5, however Apple are happy to offer me 10.5 for £85.

Does anyone know of another company that sells their older software at a higher price than their current software? The Apple customer services guy didn't really understand why I didn't want to get either. As I saw it I had the chance to have the piss taken out of me by paying over the odds for older software or paying a cheapo price for up to date software and have to factor in more than a grand for a new machine. Fedora PPC was to OS upgrade decision and I can't see me buying Apple again any time soon.

1. Ted Treen
      FAIL

Maybe...

It would help if you realised that Snow Leopard is effectively an Intel-only service pack for Leopard - it's NOT a full release in its own right.

Hence the low price.

10.4 to 10.5 (Tiger to Leopard) IS a FULL version leap - rather like going from XP to Vista, except unlike Vista, Leopard works, and only comes in one "Ultimate" edition.

Ever seen MS offer ANY of their OSes as a full upgrade from earlier version to new Ultimate variation for as little as £85?

An understanding of what's what would appear to be required.

5. BeefStirFry
    Grenade

Love the way...

... it takes an analyst to declare the good news...

Anyone who pays a tiny bit of attention to tech news would be able to predict the same thing...

6. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Love the way...

Yeah, but 'Boom time for Apple predicts bloke on bus' doesn't have the same ring to it.

7. Chris iverson
    Heart

@all of you

I do love the healthy cynicism of a computing professional. Apple releases or is going to release rumored [iProduct], Investors cheer, lay people don't care, and us 0 and 1 types claim victory/waterloo for Apple. I wish them luck with the new [iProduct].

Me personally, living with and interacting with content creators and distributors, there is a lot more chatter about Android and specifically the Nexus One and the Hero. No shift from apple en mass but more a competitive mix between phones. Either way 2010, I hope, will be a fun year in consumer electronics.

P.S.

why do I need a tablet to augment my phone and netbook?

8. J 3
    Joke

Boom time?

Are they exploding Apple? Yay!

9. dan 16

Tired of all the rest

I have a Windows 7 at the office, complete with Office 2010. A Vista at home with Office 2007 and - my favorite - a UMPC with XP and Office 2003 for when I travel. Guess what? I am tired of having to look for the "Edit" in the menu that doesn't exsit, I am tired of been forced to learn new "tricks" that are wasting my time anyway, and I don't want to spend money on upgrades that are not as good as the old stuff. Excel 2003 is still the best, the new stuff is more expensive and the UI is a nightmare.

I have no idea if Apple OS is better... I am using an iPod Touch, I love it and I am now doing so much stuff on it and enjoying it so much, I will spend my money on a new MacBook.

And throw away the rest. And that move alone will make me so happy...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like