back to article Virtualisation for Beginners

VMWare engineer Shawn Morel opens an entertaining and highly recommended seminar on the internal workings of his company's Fusion product for the Mac by dividing up an area of space with a couple of vertical lines. He points in turn to the three segments this creates: "You've got Userland, the Kernel space and Hyperspace." He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virtualisation benefits from VirtualBox & ZFS

Hi,

If you run your VirtualBox on OpenSolaris/Solaris with ZFS and deduplication enabled then running multiple instances of Windows requires less disk space. No special software needs to be purchased :). A situation that does necessarily apply to the other OSes. VirtualBox v3.1.2 also supports upto 32 cpus per Virtual Machine, which the others do not.

2. GottaBeKidding
    Stop

Scene release file name?

Once again, using a scene release filename is _not_ a good idea. It makes people think that everyone at thereg has an eyepatch.

3. Inachu
    Happy

I'll be interested in this when it works for games.

Would love to use a VM OS with world of Warcraft installed.

One day....

Maybe one day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No need for virtualisation.

You do know you can run multiple instances of WoW (against a single install) already right, without the need for any kind of virtualisation?

I used to run 5 copies (multi-boxing an entire party) on my Mac Pro - just because I could.

4. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    WTF?

Eh...

"Technically, if perhaps not legally, you can run Mac OS X in a VMWare virtual machine under Windows"

OSX on top of Windows...

Technically, if perhaps not legally, if you were doing that you might need your head examined.

5. b166er

Sure?

As I understand, VirtualBox among others has support for OpenGL and some have experimental support for Direct3D. There are some videos around of some FPS's with very playable framerates inside VM's.

Also, you say at the top of the article, that problems can't pass from VM to Host or indeed another VM, however you then go on to mention that if using snap-shotting, you should store documents etc outside the VM by using a folder shared between VM and Host. This has been shown to be exploitable.

I know this is for beginners, but is it wholly accurate?

6. Ammaross Danan
    Thumb Up

@Inachu

Cheer up then. Parallels is developing a graphics card virtulization method (as well as other well-known entities such as VMWare). From what I hear, they'll offer what essentially amounts to pass-thru capability... How many <insert small-to-large span of time here> it takes to come out is anyone's guess though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Yes and I have this bridge for sale.

Parallels have been promising graphics card virtualisation for years as a point release for version 3. I fell for it and when a new major release came out, still without the support I declined to give them any more money.

We're now at version 5 and they're still promising.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like