back to article Pipex announces plan to disembowel itself

Pipex revealed the final stages of its corporate seppuku operation today with news that the remainder of the group intends to demerge its WiMAX business then flog itself. The sale of the 570,000-strong broadband and voice base to Tiscali for £210m cleared regulatory hurdles earlier this month. Executives told investors today it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave

Web hosting

I'm a little nervous about the sale of their webhosting business. I was a 'Host Europe' customer before they were bought by Pipex. Pipex were a huge improvement, no idea if the next owner will be better/worse.

Can anyone point me to a list of UK hosting providers by market share?

2. Pat Reynolds

Yer only man

@ Dave,

www.rackspace.co.uk is the only place you need to look!

Cheers

PatMan

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dave

I wouldn't go by market share. The biggest is most likely to be the most average. After all, in ADSL Tiscali have bigger market shares than Zen or IDnet but I know which one I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Getting highly reliable hosting outside of the UK is cheaper, if it's possible for your projects. Pair Networks are nice if you don't need Windows or ASP.

4. JLR

@dave

I won't move before I know what's happening to the hosting bits, and when I do I wouldn't go to rackspace unless I wanted to increase my costs, which I don't really want to do....

A breakdown of hosting companies by market share can be found at http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/UK

5. Mountford D

@Dave

I wouldn't go by market share.

I was a Host Europe customer myself but Leicester outfit Freevirtualservers (www.easy-internet.co.uk) is who I use now. However, they seem to have changed recently since I signed up with them (new web site design and hosting now appears to be in the US) and I've noticed a few more outages than before though that could be my ISP or BT. Having said that, their support department is excellent, 5* and second to none.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pipex Wireless (a trademark of Intel Capital)

Pipex Wireless was half funded by Intel. I wonder where it'll end up. I wonder if PCC/Now/whatever they're called this week would like to add it to their expensive but near-invisible portfolio of UK wireless licences "awaiting a full national rollout". It's hard to see who (other than maybe BT) might be interested.

7. Adam

@dave

Dave,

Alpha-networks.co.uk are good for hosting and dedicated hosting. I used there service for over a year constantly hittin a few meg a second as I was being a mirror for friends they didnt mind! also they know quite alot so support is A+, What I would stay clear of is xilo.net they didnt have my server ready for over 4 months! only when I said I was leaving did they "find" hardware at the side of the room. anyway good luck!

A.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dave

I second BitFiddler on Pair Networks in the US. Their service is outstanding, and with the current exchange rate being what it is, they are a killer price compared to some of the overcharging providers in the UK.

http://www.pair.com/ for their webpage.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consolidation

Both these companies are involved in traffic shaping . Are we seeing consolidation of the c**p companies?

This topic is closed for new posts.