back to article Ballmer: no China exit for Microsoft's Bing

Microsoft is following Google into practically everything - except its threat to pull out of the Chinese search market. Chief executive Steve Ballmer says Microsoft has no plans to pull MSN or Bing out of China while professing confusion over Google's claimed reason for its threat, Reuters reports. Last week, Google said it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Has Hotmail been hacked by China?

Apparently Foreign Journalists' Gmail accounts have been hijacked in China

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Foreign-Journalists-Gmail-Hijacked-in-China-516959/

2. Big-nosed Pengie

How surprising

not.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually

I don't think ANYONE would care if Bing leaves or stays, so it might as well stay.

Also, Microsoft know that if they pull Windows from China, they'll all just start using Linux and pirated copies of Windows... which is what they're doing anyway, actually.

Ok, so I guess nobody would care if Microsoft leaves or stays, so it might as well stay. :P

4. gerryg
    Megaphone

And your point is?

There's a lot of Google bashing going at El Reg at the mo' and while I'm sure they can defend themselves, I'd like to understand the editorial perspective here.

Is it that as Google proclaimed to do no evil they're not allowed the St Augustine defence whereas as Microsoft didn't promise anything we can admire their principled stand?

I'd just like to know.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back door Ballmer?

Having created the back doors for China to invade the rest of the world, it looks like he's made one for himself into China.

6. Eddie Johnson
    FAIL

In Through the Out Door

For MS to exit the market wouldn't they have to enter it first?

And in what math would their 0.00000000127% market penetration count as "entered"?

7. gollux
    Jobs Horns

Haha suckers...

Our Web Browser security got youse competitors hacked so youse can all go home now while we try to take over this here growing nanny state market what hates independent thought.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Do no evil?

Is it even relevant here? Is Google "warning to punish" China by threatening to pull out?

A lot of governments and groups dabble in espionage through malware over the internet. Is it because China is more successful, or too comfortable in its power not to care if it's being obvious? (add the word "allegedly" whereever you deem necessary if it makes YOU more comfortable)

I do not expect Google to go through with it. I agree with Ballmer here - what good will it do?

9. MadScientist
    WTF?

not surprising

Kind of ironic coming from a company who know the only reason the majority of computers in China run Windows is because of mass piracy.... it seems they are willing to take anything for the team.

10. Doug Bostrom

Vector

"Do Evil"

11. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

No Targets

The reason Microsoft weren't hacked at the same time as Google is simple - no-one of any importance uses HotMail.

12. lukewarmdog

Lol

Microsoft in admits-we-get-hacked-all-the-time-and-nobody-bothers shock.

13. mhenriday

This must be one of the most confused - and confusing - articles

I've see on the Reg - first Mr Clarke talks about (Google's) market share in China and then turns without explanation to figures about Bing's and Yahoo's respective market shares which are not merely wildly exaggerated, but also deal with an entirely different region of the globe - viz, the United States. The reader who wants more reliable figures about search-engine market share in China can examine StatCounter's statistics for that country (http://preview.tinyurl.com/yfwvnh7 ). Corresponding statistics for the United States are found here : http://preview.tinyurl.com/yjtvwmo ....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like