back to article Asus readies colour e-book reader

Asus has let slip the technical specifications and launch date of its now confirmed e-book viewer – the DR-570. Equipped with a 5.7in OLED “high-brightness” colour display, the DR-570 will also support Adobe Flash and either Wi-Fi or 3G wireless connections – but not both. Asus_DR750 Asus' DR-570 e-book viewer Source: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul E

Readability/eye strain

I always thought that the main advantage of ebook readers over reading books on something like a monitor was the way that e-ink allowed users to read for a long time without eye strain etc. What's the point of it running for 122 hours if you get a headache after a couple of them?

I hope the e-book reader is not going to hijacked by firms making 'tablets' of the same format as current ebook readers but not using the eye friendly displays that are, at the moment, one of the main unique selling points of e-book readers?

2. Paul 25

Scale?

How big is it? If it's hardback or A5 size that could be a really nice bit of kit.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

122 hrs in colour

Impressive, but what's the weight?

4. Edwin

Battery capacity

I find the number of hours a bit silly when determining battery life for an ebook reader.

Page turns makes more sense (e.g. 8000 page turns on a charge) but I guess the interweb connection makes that a little more challenging.

What about a hybrid like we have for phones? E.g. 8000 page turns/122 hours standby?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Boffin

Battery capacity

Yes, page turns make more sense for e-books with *e-ink* displays that use energy during a "page turn" and practically zero energy the rest of the time.

However, this beast is burning away the battery the whole time the screen has an image on it (i.e. while you are reading, not just turning pages)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Moving towards mimicking a real book

I have a Sony ebook which is great for commuter reading. I like the long battery life and how easy the display is on the eyes. Colour would be nice, as would the ability to enlarge some pictures and diagrams in PDF ebooks.

The Asus spec looks good, the battery life in particular, especially as it seems to be driving 2 screens. Hopefully the display is as gentle on the eye as e-ink.

Not sure about the 2 pages, I quite like getting my ebook screen into a comfortable position then each page is displayed in turn. 2 sided page printing is only to save paper, so 2 separate ebook pages seems to be over the top, but may have uses that I have not thought of. (Joined pages would be better.)

I will be watching this and writing a letter to Santa.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Two page e-book

I fancy a 2-page e-book, but I would make one of them e-ink for reading text, and the other colour for displaying images (like the old books with groups of "plates" inserted for the pictures!)

That way I get nice long battery life, reading a nice screen, but it can power up the aux screen so I can see diagrams / photos, etc. in colour.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like