back to article Pogoplug to hop into Britain next month

Pogoplug, Cloud Engines' media sharing gadget, is finally coming to the UK. The unit, which links up to four USB hard drives to the internet, is due to go on sale here on 15 February. Cloud Engines Pogoplug Pretty in pink: Pogoplug The unit, now in its second generation design, aims to make digital content available to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Pah, already got mine

Uber geeks order in the US and get them well in advance of the UK release.

Great bit of kit though, version 1 isn't pink, so thats an improvment too...

1. David Hicks
      Happy

Uber-geeks got the reference design...

...sheevaplug from Marvell/globalscale on release day.

Awesome bit of kit. Making it do that stuff without me having to spend days messing around with uboot environment settings, OS install and then software setup would have been pretty cool though!

2. The Indomitable Gall

Easy...?

So go on, tell us: what's the security like?

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Uber geeks...

can also do that for free with their regular PC (there are a lot of lightweight zero-config ftp- and web-servers out there). Of course for if you have many drives you might need to spare 5 bucks for a USB hub...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Real geeks...

... would have worked out how much the electric bill would be from leaving a PC on all the time for this sort of remote access (by definition, you're not at home using the PC!)... compare the ~200W for a regular PC to the ~5W for the pogoplug (or the sheevaplug if you're so geeky, or the NSLU2 if you're old school), and you'd realise that it'd pay for itself within 6 months!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Looks like...

... the designers won!

5. MarkOne

Uber-geeks already have

A Sheevaplug, which is what this is based upon, but without any of it's limitations...

6. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Mmm. Sheevaplug. Mmm.

If I wasn't on the dole, I'd have snapped one up weeks ago.

Still, nice to see it being utilised commercially.

Steven R

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like