back to article Panasonic flees Microsoft Exchange for IBM cloud

IBM will be moving Panasonic's workforce to LotusLive hosted email and collaboration software, in what it's touting as the largest enterprise cloud computing contract to date. One day after Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard said they would spend $250m on a combined effort to push businesses toward cloud computing, IBM has swooped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Load of Goats?

Is this a cloud-based version of Lotus Scrotes? If these poor bastards are having to use Lotus Bloats, there goes Panasonic's competitive edge. More information can be found here:

http://www.ihatelotusnotes.com/

2. Dozer
    Unhappy

Oh the poor bastards

My sympathies to all of them...

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

LotusLive is not Lotus Notes

IBM bought a mail solution from Outblaze, a Hong Kong outfit, which they now use for LotusLive.

Using the Lotus name might not have been a good marketing move but Domino it ain't.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I worked there @ the UK site

Back in 2004, and they were already using Lotus Notes...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And this is better why?

Why does everyone seem so keen to stick there corporate email out in the cloud where anyone can have a tilt at hacking it? Or do we just assume that so long as you don't give a monkey's about human rights in China, the hackers will leave your account alone?

Is anyone running a sweepstake on how long after the City of LA moves to Google mail that we'll get a peak at Arnie's inbox?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Enough to bring tears to my eyes.......

Oh dear, oh dear. In a previous life working tier3 for a large institution I had to suffer both the indignities and sheer hell of Crocus Goats on a daily basis. Domino servers falling down (like a pack of dominos funnily enough), the unfathomable client driving me slowly nuts.. blah blah blah... gibber gibber gibber.... Oh and they had a complete team on hand just to install the crappy client..

Must go as I can feel myself welling up..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this really cloud

Is this really cloud computing or is it just a bog standard outsourcing deal? Just because the processing is happening at another site doesn't mean it's "in the cloud", as far as I understand it cloud implies supplied over the ineternet and a partition of a shared service. The sheer amount of users suggests that it's not going to be a shared service and I didn't notice any comment about how the service is to be accessed (dedicated leased lines, Internet VPNs or just bog standard Internet connections via a browser.)

8. Mike VandeVelde
    Go

Domino it is

LotusLive Notes and iNotes are Domino. LotusLive Engage is the Outblaze thingy. Not sure which one Panasonic went for.

https://www.lotuslive.com/en/compare

More details will probably come out at Lotusphere next week.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

They'll be back...

Notes

N = Nasty

O = Old

T = Tired

E = Email

S = System

16 million Notes seats went to Exchange last year, and it looks like 100K went to Notes. Like they say in the movies:

"You're going the wrong way"

Gates with the horns, becuase that's what Panasic signed up for

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like