back to article NAO tells HMRC: Pick up, dammit

The National Audit Office has told HM Revenue and Customs it has to make more improvements to its telephone services. Its new report on the department's performance points to the need to encourage people to call outside of peak hours and to make more use of the department's website. HM Revenue and Customs: Handling telephone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've found...

the working tax credits telephone line to be very good every time I've needed to use it.

2. Magnus_Pym
    FAIL

Part Year outsourcing?!?

Yes I really think my tax affairs are going to be sorted by an underpaid student reading from a script. Anyway HMRC staff sign a version of the official secrets act so that's going to work with the transient staff typical of multi use call centres.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HMRC and Official Secrets

How many different versions of the Official Secrets Acts are there?

There is only one. The act was created in 1911 with amendments made to the act in 1989.

The official secrets act is signed by just about everybody that works for a government department.

There's a question if they really need to sign it, as most don't come into contact with classified material. (It covers unclassified material too) It's used as a blanket to make sure any government employee doesn't reveal any information they come across in their job - in my opinion, a f**ng big blanket.

Even statements made to the Police by witnesses are actually classified! I know this because when I made a complaint to the Police..the paper forms containing the complainants statements were marked "RESTRICTED".

3. eJ2095

They should

Get off there arsed and sort out the website so you can apply online again..

Was so much easier then farting around with paper copies

4. Andy Livingstone

Where are the Managers?

In some commercial environments, more than 2 rings gets treated as a disciplinary offence.

5. JaitcH
    Troll

E-government a British failure

Communicating with any government department is hard enough; the British government makes it that much harder.

Little wonder people resort to bricks and bombs to wake Whitehall up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What this really is ..

.. is an excuse to blow more money on consultants. Makes you wonder if there is any correlation between this and the fact that the NAO is (AFAIK) headed by an ex consultant..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Outsouce

They could always outsource to India, and then watch all our personal data be sold where a lack of data protection laws will enable them to get away with it. legally..

It's a government department ffs, they probably don't even know the meaning of the acronyms SLA, KPI.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Out sause

It almost was, more than once!

8. kapple999

HMRC don't give you valid phone numbers

Sussex Accounts Recovery in St Leonards on Sea wrote to me in November accusing me of not having paid a months Tax/National Insurance for my Business - I had in fact paid. They invited me to phone them to discuss. The phone number quoted on the top of the letter is permanently engaged, and I mean permanently - I can never get it to ring, even out of hours.

Any attempt to find an alternative phone number via Google and local Governement websites only results in a British Telecomm intercept with "sorry that number is no longer in operation".

I phoned the HMRC Employer Helpline who admitted that they didn't have an alternative number for Sussex Recovery, and that they had had similar complaints, and that they "don't know what's going on down in St Leonards".

9. jonathan rowe
    Thumb Down

corp tax helpline constantly engaged

Wow, this report is very timely. I have been trying to get through to the corporation tax helpline, have been trying 8/9 times a day for the past 8 days - CONSTANTLY ENGAGED.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like