back to article Microsoft eyes stake in Facebook

The Wall Street Journal says Microsoft is looking to acquire a stake in famed Web 2.0 social networking operation Facebook. Referencing unnamed sources "familiar with the matter", the finance writers suggested Redmond might take five per cent of Facebook for "roughly $300m to $500m". The actual market value of Facebook has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Hmm

Worth $250 each, you say. I wonder how they plan to monetize that, or anything for that matter. I use Facebook extensively and (as far as I can tell) they haven't made any money out of me. Sure, some suckers buy the odd $1 'gift' icon, and there's certainly plenty of advertising, but I'd want a little more for $10b than 80m eyeballs - especially as lots of those eyeballs would be lost if they tried to extract money in any way other than advertising.

2. gareth

ads on facebook

there are adverts on facebook?

id forgot there where even ads on the internet

adblock plus for firefox rules!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook becomes faceless corp

As soon as it becomes a Microsoft thing, it'll be too uncool for the kids and they'll abandon it as quickly as they did MySpace.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There goes the neighbourhood

If Microsoft are moving in, I'm moving out. They'll insist it's all got to be migrated to .NET running on IIS and it'll all be as bloated and buggy and rubbish as the rest of their software. Sigh.

5. Nikomus

RE: ads on facebook

Right on Gareth. I was quite shocked when I saw an ad the other day, but it was only a few seconds until that too was banished from my screen. Do people honestly just put up with ads? In a single session you can wipe out 95% of your ads with something like adblock, and I've always wondered what kind of impact this will have on the likes of Google. I'm surprised they haven't bought and discontinued adblocking products by now.

6. Tom

Ad block?

There's no need to block ads online. Your brain filters them out really efficiently after a few years of exposure.

7. Phill

I'd ditch it

If MS took complete control of facebook (more than just providing the ads) I'd be out of there in a split second.

Should we expect the "Activate your own profile" or the "Genuine Advantage Profile Validator" facebook app anytime soon.

8. Dam

Re. Ad block?

Sure does, however one can never be too careful, what if you were hit by a buffer overflow while processing the adverts to filter out...

I visit facebook about twice per week, and I'm so moving out if MS steps in.

Anyone remembers when MS bought hotmail ?

Replace 100 BSDs with 1K MS Exchanges, and get less results ?

So I guess they'll be using 1 IIS per viewer if they want to keep the performance up.

Won't come cheap, ofc...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait a second

face book is already bloated and annoying. I have never encounted such an annoying site in my life. I lie of course, but still, rubbish site is rubbish.

10. Bernadette Newburg

@There goes the neighborhood

I'm definitely moving out. Especially if they bring that overpoofed poodle, Vista.

This topic is closed for new posts.