back to article 'Google' crowned word of the decade

The American Dialect Society has crowned the verb "google" as its Word of the Decade, while honouring "tweet" as its 2009 Word of the Year. Mercifully, the "linguists, lexicographers, etymologists, grammarians, historians, researchers, writers, authors, editors, professors, university students and independent scholars" who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Thumb Up

'Sea kitten' does have uses

For a start, you can listen out for users of the phrase "sea kitten" and spot a raving vegeloon at 20 paces. Genius.

1. Rosco

Seems quite clever to me

It seems like an uncharacteristically clever campaign from PETA. Neatly points out that plenty of people wouldn't eat a kitten but would happily eat a fish or other non-cuddly animal.

Puts me in mind of the hilarious situation during the last world cup when several prominent football pundits expressed outrage at the cruelty of eating dogs, oblivious to the double standards of going home to tuck into a cow or a pig.

Disclaimer: my policy is "eat what the hell you want but have a think about it"

1. Rattus Rattus

"spot a raving vegeloon at 20 paces"

Doesn't always work - I use the phrase "sea kitten" because I find it hilarious.

Although, I'd probably also eat an actual kitten. If it was shaved.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Minor fail...

Okay, put a (real) kitten and a sea kitten in the same place and see who eats who...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a language fascist...

...I'm just dying to comment on this article, but I'm still shuddering too much to do so.

3. Simon B
    Welcome

text beats google any day

More people TEXT than GOOGLE ... don't they?

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Troll

your joking...

PETA really called fish "Sea Kittens"? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!

God im tempted to send PETA €5 just so they can keep coming up with stupid stuff like that to make me laugh...

... but i've just remembered how annoying they are the rest of the time, so i think i'll keep my cash in my pocket...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

sea kitten?

How on earth could you play with one of them? The ball of string would get all wet, and they don't purr when you stroke them. The only possible way to treat sea kittens is the way my wife did a few moments ago. Beurre blanc sauce, very tasty. Me? I just had a tasty chunk of grilled dead cow, nice and pink and bloody in the middle, it was. Oh, and we brutally carved up a few Maris Pipers and fried them on the side. People Eating Tasty Animals, that's us :)

1. Oninoshiko
      Boffin

True

True, but if you put them in a tank, they will follow around a laser pointer. (don't ask)

although how do they get to the litter box?

^

|

+-- remember to use protective goggles when using lasers!

6. Steve Sutton
    Troll

Sums it up really

That "google" is itself a misspelt word (was meant to be "googol" as I'm sure most of us know), and has been chosen by the Americans as 'Word of the Decade' is a source of mild amusement to me.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

@AC 13:22

I'm not sure Maris Pipers are an animal.

1. Neil T
      Joke

Regnumist!

Potatoes have feelings too! Take your regnum-superiority bigotry somewhere else!

2. Nebulo

But ...

there may have been some small ones inside them ...

8. George Nacht
    Stop

Language indeed changes...

...but concept of friendship does not, Mr.Zimmer! At least not around here and not on my watch!

9. ian 22
    Linux

Sea kittens?

Do mature into catfish?

Penguins eat sea kittens!

10. heyrick Silver badge
    FAIL

Dopey words

OMG, can you imagine the infant school playground in another decade?

Sarah: Give me my ball back or I'll UNfriend you!

<shudder>

Oh, and of the other contenders for the Word of the Decade, one isn't even a word ("9/11") and one is an abbreviated two word phrase ("Wi-Fi"). In other words, I take this with a massive pinch of salt if the people who pick the word of the decade don't even know what a word is!

That FAIL! is the best interjection... I think that says a lot about the last decade, doesn't it? I have chosen the Fail icon in honour of its accolade.

[I wonder if El Reg has any automated goodies to scan the postings and see what the most popular icon is? I have a suspicion...]

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Dopey words

Automated deelies to find most popular icons? No. We don't care. Bye!

12. David Cantrell

Eating kittens

Surely people don't eat kittens because there's not much point. There's fuck-all meat on a kitten.

1. Rattus Rattus

That's why you use an entire litter at a time

...on a skewer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Eating kittens by David Cantrell

There is if you force feed them tuna fand make them carry weights for a few months.

Paris and tuna, Just sayin.

13. elderlybloke
    Linux

Barney Google

was a song about five or six decades ago, that went on about Barney Google with the great big gookey eyes.

I should have trademarked that word.

14. Sceptical Bastard
    Happy

@ Rattus Rattus

Fucking brilliant, Rattus - made me spit my coffee out :)

Word of the decade? What about 'jjihad'? Or 'islamist'? Or 'Al Quaeda'? Or 'tsunami'? Or (in Britain at least) 'Maddy'?

Or how about 'fat egregious know-all fucker on twitter' - spelled F-R-Y

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like