back to article Toshiba readies Cell-based graphics engine

Toshiba will next week formally announce a processor based on the Cell chip that sits inside each Sony PlayStation 3 games console. The new CPU will be pitched not only at consumer electronics kit but set head-to-head with today's PC and Mac graphics chips. To be fair to Nvidia, AMD and co., Toshiba's October announcement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spursengine?

It'll look good on paper, but it'll underperform in the benchmarks. After all, it's always going to give away three points to any serious competition. :-)

TeeCee

(I'd suggest our geographically-challenged visitors stay away from this article's comments area - it's going to get confusing)

2. Outcast

openGL

It'd be much more use if they went with OpenGL

3. Stu

Cell good at graphics?

Its interesting to note that the PS3s graphics oomph is provided by a combination of the Cell CPUs vector and shader processing throughput into a NVIDIA graphics processor, the 'RSX' -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27

Quite how the Cell chip on its own handles fast high quality 3D graphics remains to be seen. Its no slouch of course, but how it goes up against custom graphics processing silicon like that of Nvidias own designs (based on around two decades of experience) is questionable - begs the question why Sony didn't just use the Cell chip on its own.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

This same BS came up during PS2's time. I've yet to see a working "Emotion Engine" PC card. Just more hype for today's 3rd place contestant.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

I'm sorry, but anything with a "Synergistic Processing Element" has to be the work of BOFH or an over eager marketing department....

6. Johan Struwwelpeter

All that okay but...

This has to be the first instance the cell processor is used outside Sony, arguably IBM has offered it on server blades, if I remember correctly, but guess nobody bought'em cause there's 0 noise about that . That's a good thing to see the cell in consumery apps, after all it WAS supposed to be in black goods too .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like