back to article Nikon Coolpix S1000pj

Every now and again, you come across a product that makes you think: How on earth did they do that? Well, Nikon’s Coolpix S1000pj is such a beast, because it’s a compact digital camera with a built-in pico projector. Nikon Coolpix S1000pj The little picture show: Nikon's Coolpix S1000pj In fact, it would appear it’s the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Max 12

Gah!

"Oh, and you can’t connect the Coolpix S1000pj to a laptop and use it as a miniature projector"

The punchline on the last page! Wont be buying this then :(

Great review otherwise though, thanks.

2. Tony Barnes

Neat idea

I was sat with the other half watching a slide show of pics on my phone the other day - beaming onto a wall for a better look would be great!

When price drops & quality increases, this sort of thing will be a real winner

3. biscuit
    Grenade

Kaboom

I hope you didn't get stopped for taking photos in London - you might've been a terrorist or something!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Railway station

Railway Station = Transport Infrastructure = Terrorist Target = Night in the cells for photog.

Oh well, At least they weren't taking picturees on the underground this time.. (that requires a permit)

4. jonnyscavenger
    Unhappy

missing something

why so many pictures of the photos taken, not one of the projected images?

5. Tom 7

This is just what I've been looking for..

a special HUD for the taxi driver who goes the long way round.

And I think a few more people seeing things will brighten up my evenings in the pub and think what fun one can have in queues at airports projecting messages on people ...

6. A J Stiles
    Boffin

Let's have the missing figure

One figure that is consistently missing from digital camera reviews:

The active surface area, in square millimetres, of the CCD sensor array.

Put simply, the more mm² you have, the more charge you can store initially. The more charge you can store initially, the more photons of light you can allow to strike the sensor during exposure without saturating, and so the better contrast you can obtain.

mm² are more important than megapixels. My old FujiFilm 2MPx camera used to take better pictures (and may well still be doing for its new owner) than some 4MPx cameras, by virtue of its *huge* sensor array. The eye can't see more than 4 pixels per mm anyway, which is about 1MPx on an A4 sheet.

1. caerphoto

Viewing distance

> "The eye can't see more than 4 pixels per mm anyway, which is about 1MPx on an A4 sheet."

That clearly depends on how far away you view the print from (which is generally a function of print size) and how good your eyesight is.

Eye resolution is measured in "x" per arc-minute, so is independent of distance.

1. A J Stiles

Hmm

Well, if you were viewing that A4 sheet from about half a metre, that corresponds to 4 pixels in 2 milliradians of arc, or 2 Px/mrad.

Or kPx/rad, I suppose, since you aren't really supposed to use prefixes under the line.

7. Chris Mitchell

How about art?

Just a thought; won't this sort of device help struggling painters by allowing them to photograph whatever it is they want to paint, project it onto a canvas, then Paint-By-Numbers on the projected image? Muarkedly easier than tracing otherwise...

Chris M

This topic is closed for new posts.