back to article Palm jumps to Verizon with two new phones

Palm announced today that it will jump from Sprint to Verizon when it releases two new phones on January 25. Speaking to reporters at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, Palm Chairman and chief executive Jon Rubinstein said the new phones - the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus - "will be available exclusively on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Individual #6/42

More lies

Joikuspot allows my ancient Symbian phone to provide a 3G wifi hotspot to multiple users, and has done for years. What have I missed?

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Retail version

I suspect they mean that the phones provide wi-fi hotspot functionality out of the box, rather than via software you download yourself.

2. Nate Amsden

talk and surf at the same time?

After seeing those AT&T commercials pouncing on Verizon for not being able to surf the net and talk at the same time that got me curious about my Sprint Pre and I can't do both either(unless I use wifi for surfing). Wonder if it's a phone thing, or a network thing, or maybe a protocol thing. I've had my pre for almost two months now and have never used wifi, I'm sure I'm not your typical user though.

1. Darren Hutchinson

This is what I've found so far...

I was looking for an answer to this yesterday and it seems that EVDO rev A is technically capable of it but you'd need a phone with two radios to do normal CDMA voice and EVDO at the same time (as they use separate frequency allocations).

Many references stated that the Sprint and Verizon don't allow it. I wasn't able to find out whether the CDMA Pre has the two radios required to support this even if the carriers allowed it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Nate Amsden

It's a CDMA thing. CDMA "SVDO" finally fixes this, but as far as I know, neither carrier have committed on upgrading to it.

Sprint seems to be going the route of WiMAX (4G) for data and either CDMA (2.5G) or iDEN (2) for voice, which should also be able to do it. Vzw is migrating to LTE (4G) which also can do it.

3. Dale Le Page
    FAIL

A correction

"The Mobile Hot Spot feature allows you to access the internet over the phone's 3G connection by connecting up to five devices to them over WiFi. "The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus will be the world's first devices to provide this capability," Stratton said."

Wrong. The HTC HD2 can do this, I work for T-Mobile and we've been showing this off to customers since it was launched. Have to love Palm's hyperbole sometimes, doesn't it also sync with iTunes?

4. Jerome
    WTF?

Brilliant marketing again from Palm

There is now a Palm Pré Plus.

But only on Verizon.

But I can still buy last year's model at full price to use it on a GSM network.

Yes, last year's non-plus Pré is available on AT&T, and coming to France in a few months!

This is so totally ridiculous !

Will anyone making phones ever duplicate Apple's iPhone+iPod model of "one global hardware", more or less per year ?

5. Robert Grant

Right...

Wow, I wish I could get any Windows Mobile with the relevant hardware to act as a hotspot. Oh, wait.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=361311

6. Name 1

It's new AND improved! (Er...)

"access the internet over the phone's 3G connection by connecting up to five devices to them over WiFi. "The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus will be the world's first devices to provide this capability,""

And here I've been using an old laptop connected to a 2-year-old Palm Treo as a firewalled NAT for my whole home network, including wireless... Now I can put it all in a single un-firewalled phone? I'm rushing right out! Not...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like