back to article Samsung e-book reader range doubles in a day

Samsung's upcoming line of e-book readers is larger than the company's initial announcement suggested, taking in a Kindle-style model with a keyboard and a basic unit in addition to the two versions highlighted yesterday. Then, the line consisted of the 6in E6 and the 10.1in E101. But with the opening today of Samsung's CES …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc
    Unhappy

I have a big problem...

...with the design of all these eReaders. I am right-handed, yes, but I hold my books in my left hanf when I read them; a habit I still have when reading books on my mobile. (and yes, I *have* developed the knack of walking on footpaths while reading without braining myself on people or posts).

Unfortunately, it seems eReaders are designed with the controls laid-out for right-handed use, and no easy way to flip the device around.

1. RegReaderInLancs

Right-handed

Same here, I agree. Of course you hold the book in your left hand so that your right hand, the one you use most often for manipulating objects, can turn the pages.

1. Neoc

Nope

Nope, I have become adept at using the thumb and little finger on my left hand to turn most paperbacks, including thick scifi/fantasy novels. Right hand gets used to hold briefcase (while walking to/from work), straps/poles/handholds in buses and metro, or holding cups/glasses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a lefty.....

I'm happy with the Sony PRS600 - it's controls are on the bottom bezel and the hand gestures for page turning allow either hand to be used.

The Sony page-turn buttons can be conveniently used by the left thumb when holding in the left hand so either method can be employed by us southpaws.

1. Sam 15

Re: As a Lefty

On every other device that I've used as an ebook reader (6 of then to date) I've been able to turn the page by simply tapping the bottom of the page.

Many of them offer several choices on how to select 'Next Page'.

The Sony PRS-600 demands a specific 'gesture' (a swipe) which is just more fiddly to do.

None of my other devices are dedicated eReaders, (PDAs, MP4 players & Internet tablets) but each one manages this better than the PRS-600.

It's a good job that turning pages isn't an important function in a dedicated eReader.

Hang on...

Sam

3. Big_Ted
      Thumb Up

Left hander answer....

You could always go for a cheaper version.

Waterstones are selling the elonex 511EB for £129.99

Not a bad piece of kit for the price, http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/2009/12/review-elonex-511eb-from-waterstones/ for a good review.

Buttons on the left plus keyboad buttons can be used for right hand.

I have one for general day to day use and its fit for the job. Elonex say they will have covers available in approx 4 weeks.

4. blackworx

Handedness

Don't they tend to have multiple sets of page navigation buttons dotted around various edges of the device? The BeBook for one has at least three pairs of next/previous buttons that I know of, which also double up for other functions when not actually reading. Things like audio volume, menu navigation etc.

2. Kevin 6
    WTF?

Crickey

"$699 (£437) for the E101. ®"

10 inch Tablet PC's aren't even that much and can do everything that can do and more. I'll admit it probably blows the tablet away in battery life but still that is a lot of cash just so you can carry a few portable books.

1. blackworx
      Boffin

Big difference

You can read an eInk screen all day and not get a headache. Try doing that with a backlit LCD.

3. Quando

So that's why they have audio output....

"The readers will have a text-to-speech facility too." - it finally makes sense to me now why these e-book readers have audio output. And I guess once you have text-to-speech an MP3 player is a small extra software module.

4. Sir Runcible Spoon
    FAIL

Sir

Can someone please explain why these things are more expensive than core duo laptops that can also play movies?

This is one tech I won't be adopting early, much as I'd like to.

5. blackworx
    Thumb Up

Interesting

Been using an eBook for just over a year now, and it's pretty cool to see a goliath like Samsung getting on board. We might actually see some real competitive development with properly-funded R&D being thrown around. I'm not talking about the display technology (although that'll no doubt get a boost) but the design and variety of the devices themselves.

6. iamapizza

@Neoc (left handed)

The Sony Readers (at least the PRS 505) has controls on both sides so you can flip the page back or forth with either hand.

7. James 51
    FAIL

Frustrated lefties of the world unite.

That is nothing new. Most electronics are. I remember one samsung phone I almost broke when I tried to swivel it the counter clock wise. Lazy or cheap designs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like