back to article Intel unloads 32-nanometer Cores blitz

Intel has kicked off the Computer Electronics Show extravaganza and gadget fest by unloading a slew of desktop, laptop, and embedded x64 processors from its Westmere family of 32-nanometer products. Intel previewed its plans for the Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 chips in mid-December, saying it would get the desktop parts, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Savard

Oomph

I think that a 1 GHz chip certainly has enough oomph to do plenty of useful work. Especially if it was running, say, Windows 3.1 instead of Windows 7. (Or even Windows 98, for that matter, it's so powerful.) Of course, that product is no longer available from Microsoft, but one can run a stripped-down version of Linux... or even a free clone of MS-DOS.

Ah. If it can't run Windows 7, then I suppose there's no real reason to use an x86 chip instead of, say, an ARM chip, or a PowerPC chip, or a bunch of other possibilities? That could be, but it seems like this particular performance and wattage spot isn't occupied by other architectures.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Oomph

I just recently upgraded my daughters 600MHz Celeron laptop to 512Meg memory and installed XP.

It runs really well, I was surprised at how well it did run. For some things memory is more important than GHz grunt.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

What's all the fuss about?

I'm not confused at all...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agreed . . . .

. . . what's all the fuss about? The i5 has been in the latest iMac for some time. Only now everyone else is just catching up?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agreed . . . .

. . . what's all the fuss about? The i5 has been available in the latest iMac for some time. Only now everyone else is just catching up?

5. Mr..So..Serious
    WTF?

Is this it?

Is this it for Intel's big announcement? Are we likely to see any kinds of benchmarks or reviews of the new parts or even a few more details?

6. Michael 82
    Thumb Down

Go back to your lives citizens..

.. theres nothing to see here....

There's me thinking we were going to see some 4ghz per core muscle for a change! Off back to bed.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like