back to article Me, me, me: Iomega clones PCs virtually

Iomega will offer a Windows PC cloning facility to store a PC clone on an Iomega hard drive and run it in a connected secondary PC, notebook or netbook. The v.Clone software will copy a complete image of a primary PC to a USB-connected Iomega hard drive. When that hard drive is connected to a secondary PC, be it a desktop, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

OS Licenses?

I expect that Microsoft will be expecting their cut of this.

I expect that <insert name of app vendor> will be expecting to sell double the number of licenses here

good idea but as usual, the Legal profession will be the only ones to profit from this.

Ok, I'm outa here into the snow for a cold bath to get some sence back into me...

2. Dale 3

Windows activation

I presume they've found a way to get around Window Product Activation moaning that too much of the hardware has changed and reactivation is necessary.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Windows activation

"I presume they've found a way to get around Window Product Activation ..."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha . Yeah, good one. If they've simply adapted VMware player, then the CPU of the host is exposed almost as-is and flipping from one machine to another will definitely trigger WPA.

Conversely, if they have found a way to get around it, they'll be shut down by an army of lawyers because there would then be nothing to stop you having as many "second" machines as you like and I doubt Stevie B would tolerate that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

history

this from the company that gave us the really reliable zip and Jaz drives.....no thanks I think we'll pass on this one! i like to be able to get to my data once i've copied it onto your device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zap and Jiz

ah, I remember Iomegas previous attempts to store the world. Horrible, horrible experience. A dark alley I don't intend to go down again, ever.

foldersync, synctoy, live Mesh and the many others do a good job of letting you sync your data to the cloud without having to buy an over-priced v.HaRdDrIVe or whatever they're calling it

4. Optymystic
    Linux

WIndows XP

How much longer will this be supported?

5. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Connecting back to Win7 machine?

You sure? Two machines with same name on same network - that'll work well. So, you rename the VM, then all your personal files are stored in some other profile.

Iomega's desparation to sell overpriced storage knows no limits.

6. Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate
    FAIL

Fail: disaster recovery but can't restore!

"The cloned image is a kind of disaster recovery" but Iomega adds the point that "you can’t use v.Clone to restore the operating system, applications, and data files back onto your primary system". Well is there anything that can be restored? Anything at all? The product is a disaster. Fail.

1. Brian 6

@Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate

U have missed the whole point of this thing. Its to let u use your PC while your on a different PC. Its not a replacement for backup software. I think being able to use my set up while using someone else's PC is cool.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like