back to article Mouse nest found in London copper's paperwork

A South London copper has been described as "a little embarrassed" after discovering mice had taken up residence in paperwork on his Kennington desk. The rodent hideaway was exposed when pest control operatives were called in after staff "came across a number of mice at a police building", as an internal police report explains …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lglethal Silver badge
    Thumb Up

That bootnote...

That bootnote made the entire aritcle worth reading! Bravo El reg!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jack Straw was right

These mice clearly prefer being inside a warm police station to being out on the streets where they belong!

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

A question.

"....police in Lambeth last year spent over £25k on vermin exterminators...."

250 house mice, two wasp's nests, 120 rats, over a thousand cockroaches and one field mouse tourist that was passing by in a suspicious manner at the wrong time.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

re: A Question

But how did the mice get past TSA?

4. Rotate anti-clockwise ...
    Coat

I presume ...

... that the concept of the paperless office hasn't yet reached our guardians of law and order.

When it does, I expect we will be reading Elreg reports of 'mice' and have seized up either after years of idleness, or stuffed full of crumbs that weren't eaten by the live mice.

Mine's the one with the ferret in the pocket ... perfect for keeping my paper piles pest-free!

5. Richard Porter

Why don't they just get a cat?

Then the mice would get their collars felt by the long paw of the law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Elf n'saftee?

Probably against elf n' saftee regs. Some plod might trip over the cat.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Its a bit hard to catch Mice with...

.........a speed camera and DNA evidence.

Oh well back to the drawing board

7. Trevor Watt
    Thumb Up

Rodents are mammals....

So if the say rodents and mammals, what mammals did they exterminate that were not rodents!

I can only hope it was chavs!

8. Michael 28
    Happy

@Richard...... NO CATS!

... it's the dog's job to eat your homework!

9. Gav
    Headmaster

Whose paperwork?

'the paperwork "did not relate to operational police matters"'

So what was it and what was it doing on his desk? Old copies of Metro? Doughnut wrappers?

1. Paul RND*1000

paperwork

A pile consisting of every Sun page 3 dating back to 1985?

10. N2
    Thumb Up

El Reg rocks

Excellent bootnote if I may say so

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I smell a rat Sarge

No, Perkins, it's a mouse.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It was a copper...

THey should have been proud; I heard it was, "Basil The Great Mouse Detective" doing some ahem ... undercover work.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I heard...

They paid someone to clear out all of the vermin in the station and most of uniform and half of CID were exterminated.

14. Richard Jukes

Well...

And they say that the police are not bogged down in red tape? Jesus, this man had that much paperwork that a mouse set up home there!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange , I saw a lot of.................

Pigs running around on the Motorway the other day with loads of other pigs trying to catch them.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Either their pest control company...

Are clearly useless at eradicating mice or, the police havent listened to a word they have said. You dont just get mice in a building to that extent over night. Thats been a long standing problem.

The pest control company (bet they're private) must be laughing all the way to the bank at 100+ quid a call out. You dont treat mice with one treatment.

A 50 quid investment in some rodent boxes and some good poison (i recommend Sorexa-D)

placed in strategic posistions will offer much more control than a mass cull as they are clearly havent located/removed the infestation.

Until they do they will keep getting the problem, which gets back to original pest control company. They must be laughing all the way to bank again. Good to see my tax being spent in an efficient manner....

17. Graham Marsden
    FAIL

"clear desk policy..."

"...of filing everything at the end of the day ."

"Hey, Sarge, anyone coughed to these crimes today? No? Any chance of solving them without doing some legwork? No? Ok, file them in the round file..."

18. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Long running problem

My girlfriend works in the building concerned, and rodents have been frequent visitors for quite some time now.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha

And the suits think *my* desk is bad...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Coppers Desk?

Err, why has each copper got their own desk - surely they should be out working, and can therefore make use of a set of hot desks. Does that mean he also had his own phone and computer ? Are we the public paying our rates so that desks can be maintained in expensive property in London for each Policeman (sorry, Police Office)

1. Marina
      Thumb Up

No, you are paying for the mouse-house!

It is possible the papers (really three years worth of junk mail) were building up on the guy's desk because he was out on the beat and didn't have time to sort it out and chuck it in the round file. So the tax-payers are paying for the desk to sit there functioning as a home for the mousies.

In addition to paying the exterminator, of course!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all about colour.

Can we assume from this that they were white mice, PC Savage?

This topic is closed for new posts.