back to article Outrageous new means of megastar demise spotted

Most big old stars at the end of their lives tend to go out in a fairly mundane way - either exploding with incredible violence as supernovae, or collapsing into ultradense universe-warping unfeasiblo-gunge as a black hole. But now astronomers say they have seen evidence of a long-hypothesised third path for a large star; that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard 23
    Alien

Who thought up that acronym?

"Equation of State: SupErNovae trace Cosmic Expansion", or ESSENCE

Do I detect the hand of AmanfromMars in naming this one?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just one question

>as to make a supernova seem like a beetle farting

What sort of beetle are we talking about here?

1. twelvebore
      Coat

Well

An Arcturan Megabeetle of course

2. Chris Miller
      Coat

What sort of beetle?

Most likely a bombardier beetle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle

3. ZombieApoc

More of a multi-part question

> > as to make a supernova seem like a beetle farting

> What sort of beetle are we talking about here?

And was it African or European?

4. keddaw
      Boffin

Betelgeuse

Is that on the standard beetle fart scale or the more general insect fart scale?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: What sort of beetle are we talking about here?

probably a Scarabaeinae - or true dung beetles

6. Christoph

What sort of beetle?

Is that an African beetle or a European beetle?

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Beetle?

My guess: Volkswagen.

8. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Beetle

Betelgeuse?

You mean like the "Great Collapsing Hrung Disaster"?

9. Bill Neal
      Go

El Reg Standards

I do believe this calls for an amendment to the Register Standards for Weights & Measures. Surley you recall the velocity of sheep in a vacuum???

3. RW
    Heart

Beetle farts? Astroboffinry?

Dear God in heaven, what have I done to deserve this?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Chris W

The gigantic Egyptian scarab beetle the pushes the sun around the sky, of course!

Terrible joke, I know.

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Grenade

You can tell when someone worked in bomb disposal

They consider exploding with incredible violence as a supernova to be a fairly mundane way of ending a life.

6. fidodogbreath
    Troll

Misleading headline

I thought it was a story about Amy Winehouse.

7. Gianni Straniero
    Boffin

Kablooey

I trust our region of space (indeed the whole Galaxy) is sufficiently filthy with heavy elements that this sort of thing is unlikely to blow us all to Kingdom Come.

Still, plenty of other things to worry about. A well-aimed GRB occurring somewhere in the Milky Way might yet scour the Earth clean of all life.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1473550404001910

(As an aside, does anyone else find it interesting that "Milky Way Galaxy" is a rhetorical tautology? No? Just me, then.)

1. Michael Dunn
      Happy

Galaxy and Milky Way

Yes, Kablooey, but I only realised it when I came to live in Greece!

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

What a scorcher

So this happening in our home galaxy would have helped explain why no ETs are on the phone, then?

I'm feeling better living in era where these are unlikely.

9. Sly
    Coat

big bang part two

the mini big bang... the galaxy destroyer supernova... Hypernova

This summer in theaters, watch as <insert action hero name> played by <insert action movie actor name> tries against all odds to save the galaxy from impossible odds...

Mines the one with the dark matter in the pocket

10. BlueGreen

cause of sock-knock-pop

was very curious about the antimatter claims here as I didn't know how it could possibly be produced nor how it could accumulate to cause a significant explosion so, as ever, wiki to the rescue. It seems that antimatter can be produced thusly <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production>, this article leading on to the actual suspected mechanism in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair-instability_supernova>, which says something fractionally more prosaic may have happened:

" For very high mass stars, with mass at least 130 and up to perhaps roughly 250 solar masses, a true pair-instability supernova can occur. In these stars, the first time that conditions support pair creation instability, the situation runs out of control. The collapse [caused by the redirection of energy production from photons, pressure from which keeps the star 'inflated', into the production of antiparticles, which presumably somehow don't] proceeds to efficiently compress the star's core; the overpressure is sufficient to allow runaway nuclear fusion to burn it in a few seconds, creating a thermonuclear explosion. With more thermal energy released than the stars' gravitational binding energy, it is completely disrupted; no black hole or other remnant is left behind."

So by my reading it's not directly antimatter driven and I really must must must stop getting distracted by Lewis' articles and do some bloody work instead.

@Chris W: about the size of the turtle at the bottom. P'raps.

11. yossarianuk

At least it would be warmer..

I wonder how the governbent will use this 'new threat' to and remove further civil liberties and monitor our internet usage. I'm sure they will try somehow....

12. Fred 4
    Grenade

a New unit of measure?

are we seeing the birth of a new unit of Vulture measurement???

a beetle fart = enough force to change the direction of a falling snow flake

mega-beetle fart = enough force to actually move the beetle generating the fart

etc

etc

etc

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Grand unified theory

(Beetle farts/human hairs)^Football fields = 42

2. Steve Roper
      Thumb Up

Seconded

The Beetle Fart is now the new El Reg standard unit of force!

13. Joe User

Now for the obvious question

How exactly does a star manage to keep antimatter separate from its normal matter long enough to build up a large quantity?

1. Captain Thyratron

It doesn't.

Rather, the article's explanation of pair-instability supernovae is somewhere between inaccurate and shamefully dishonest.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Megastars?

Oh bother, I thought this was going to be about real megastars such as Bonio or Cir Clip Richard.

15. Captain Thyratron
    Boffin

A clarification.

Contrary to the article, pair-instability supernovae aren't "antimatter-driven". Pair production does occur, but it is not the source of the energy in these events.

Once gamma rays inside the star reach sufficient energy that pair production begins to take place*, the gamma rays don't go as far and the photon pressure they would normally supply to the upper layers of the star decreases, thus causing further collapse, higher temperature, higher-energy gamma rays, and a runaway reaction that causes the star to generate enough heat to overpower the star's ability to hold itself together under gravity. The electron-positron pairs form from gamma rays, and end up as gamma rays when they annihilate with something--the process does not produce energy that wasn't already there in the form of gamma rays. Pair production is merely the mechanism of instability--hence the name "pair-instability supernova"--as it interferes with the propagation of the gamma rays whose photon pressure is vital to the survival of the star.

*The energy of the gamma ray (E = hf) must exceed twice the rest mass of an electron in order to produce an electron-positron pair. I should probably add, though it is not a major hang-up inside a star, that pair production only takes place in he presence of something like an atomic nucleus; otherwise, the process would violate conservation of momentum as, without the nucleus being there to receive the momentum of the original photon, the electron-positron pair (these particles having mass) must invariably have less momentum than the original gamma ray. Consider the case of a gamma ray whose energy is exactly twice the rest energy of an electron (that is, E = hf = (m_e)*c^2). In this case, the electron-positron pair would have no kinetic energy and thus no momentum whatsoever, even though the gamma ray that produced them had a momentum of p=hf/c.

1. awomanfromVenus
      Alien

Eh!

That made about as much sense to me as a post from amanfromMars

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Acronyms

Will be the death of us all!

Secondly, at one time wasn't it somewhat discouraged (if not openly mocked) if someone quoted wiki?

@yossarianuk: It's only a matter of time now, but don't forget about additional taxes, fees, licenses and tariffs to save the planet from imminent threats of more warming/cooling, partial or total obliteration. Oh yeah, and think of the children...

Suddenly, I care even less about global warming than I did before (which wasn't much).

17. Frumious Bandersnatch

damn!

After reading the headline, I thought that was going to be an article about Bono.

The Darwin awards for 2009 should be out around now, after all.

18. wsm

Explosions in space?

The biggest bangup in years and I must have missed this one. Is it on YouTube?

19. wayne 8

Milky Way is not always a galaxy

sometimes in certain places it is a candy bar which comes from a Mars factory.

No Snickering, please.

20. alien anthropologist
    Go

Okay..

..so who is going to call the Russians and tell them that this time around you need your galaxy to be saved and not just Earth?

21. TeeCee Gold badge

Never mind the beetles.

Being a lazy sod, I'm far more interested in the implied use of matter/antimatter explosions for sock removal.

If a megastar of this type exploding in our galaxy would knock everyone's socks off, how much antimatter do you think I'd need to easily and reliably remove one pair of socks at a range of somewhere around three meters?

22. Andy 70
    Paris Hilton

agreed on the headline being miss-leading

i had clicked under the pretense that the LHC had found an entertaining way to dispose of celebutards... don't get me wrong, it is interesting reading non-the-less, but with a dissapointing absence of death, dismemberment and such like...

Paris, for the lack of death of.

23. Anders Halling
    Flame

@BlueGreen

So it's not total conversion of mass to energy via matter/antimatter, but a fusion burn of a stellar core of several solar masses in, and I quote, "a few seconds".

Most reasuring.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@TeeCee

Actually it is the mega-farting beetles you need for sock removal - one in each sock.

25. Chris007
    Joke

PlayMobil recreation...

...or it never happened

26. Chris007
    Joke

@ wayne 8

pls stop you're such a malTeaser....

27. Quirkafleeg
    Joke

Munch

Did it consume the whole Galaxy?