back to article Will the Nokia N95's GPS work with other satnav apps?

With the Nokia N95's built-in GPS reciever, is it posible to use other navigation programs, such as TomTom and CoPilot, which do work on other Nokia phones? Will the the N95's GPS receiver work with it, or will I need a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver?

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

N95 GPS receiver does not work

TomTom and Garmin and other dedicated navigation devices get the GPS receiver and the application processor mainly from Sirf. This solution works. For the N95, Nokia sourced the chipset from its usual chipset provider, Texas Instruments, who is not accustomed to that kind of technology.

My N95 GPS experience and of many other N95 users is that either the GPS signal is very poor and the position calculation extremely slow, or it simply cannot get the sattelite signal.

There is a great deal of work to do before GPS on mobile handsets works like on PNDs.

Greg

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Navigon

It works with Navigon, which I've been using for the last few weeks. Pretty good, as Symbian sat nav goes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should be able to eventually, if not immediately.

The GPS device should be available to any application which wants to use it, since it just appears as an alternate location provider to the location APIs. As far as I know though normally GPS units are accessed through a serial port emulated over bluetooth whereas this is much more integrated into the system than bolted on the side.

I would assume that all the location providers available to Nokia's Maps application are available - so navigation apps will also be able to make use of the enhanced a-gps now in the new firmwares.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like