back to article Redkneck Vampire Attacks Trailer Park

Google Books has saved for future generations the inimitable Weekly World News, which from 1979 to 2007 entertained the US with front page headlines such as "Aliens Settle In San Francisco", "Redkneck Vampire Attacks Trailer Park" and "Giant Polar Monster Attacks Cruise Ship!". The Weekly World News's most famous creation was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Weigel
    Alien

Good ol' WWN

The Weekly World News was such a great tabloid - tongue firmly in cheek, but written in a great sensationalist style. The sad thing is, I knew a few people that genuinely believed it... I miss having it around to liven up a boring supermarket checkout line. It's still good as a web-only publication, but it added a welcome helping of the surreal to the shopping. The photo manipulation was classic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Surely you mean "Boy-Bat"?

>"The Weekly World News's most famous creation was "Bat Boy" - a hideous hybrid child found living in cave who went on to become the subject of an off-Broadway show."

It's not Bat Boy - it's a human boy with bat wings! Sheesh, how many times do you guys need telling?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What they don't tell you...

>"The Weekly World News's most famous creation was "Bat Boy" - a hideous hybrid child found living in cave who went on to become the subject of an off-Broadway show."

What they don't mention is that it all didn't end well for Bat Boy, owing to something of a misunderstanding which arose when they took the show on a tour of Jamaica and booked Buju Banton as the support act...

4. Jerome 0
    Alien

Honeymoon couple attacked by goldfish!

A quick random sampling from WWN brought to my attention a rather chilling article about one couple's close brush with death at the hands (fins?) of a horde of ravenous goldfish.

"In the light of the full moon, I glimpsed their soulless, little eyes rushing past me, felt their puckered lips sucking on my skin."

Classic.

5. Phil 54
    Alien

My favourite headline:

"Lady Gives Birth to Six-foot Green Martian Baby"

I was looking for the Weekly World News on a recent trip to Canada; now I know why I couldn't find it.

6. Joe User

The demise of Bat-Boy

He came to an untimely end one night after jumping on the stage at an Ozzy Osbourne concert....

7. DarkElfa
    Troll

I miss it.

I used to read this paper when I was growing up just because it was so much fun.

8. LuMan
    Happy

Ah, memories

I remember picking up a copy in Barbados. The headline was (along the lines of) Gay Titanic Sailor Lovers Found. There was a picture of two skeletons, wearing sailors hats, hugging in a SS Titanic lifebelt. Classic.

9. William Hart 1
    Jobs Horns

Two of my favorite covers

1) A pic of a B-17 parked in a crater on the moon

2) Headline: "WW II's best kept secret; Hitler was a woman!"

This topic is closed for new posts.