back to article 419er needs $2k to buy portrait of Queen

Calling all true patriots: one of the Lads from Lagos has got himself into a right royal state and needs a quick $2k to fulfil a lifetime's ambition to hang a pic of Her Imperial Majestyness Queen Liz II on the wall. Read on... Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:15:52 +0100 From: Deepak Behera Subject: A pleseant day to you Hello, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Raheim Sherbedgia

State of the art

Ah yes, 1960's state of the art. Harken to the time of the great masters. I really wish these people would learn English better, but then it wouldn't be as much fun.

2. Robert Lee

Kids ?

"this is a dream come true for me 'cos' i know i am going to make history out of it,"

Cant make out if this is from 419'er or just a kid from MSN by the use of the word 'cos'.

What the heck, lets just sent the money, as it sound quite urgent and important..

3. Doc

On a serious note...

...if nobody give him the money, does he get his deposit back?

Aussie Doc

4. James Condron

I believe him

Y'know, I may not be the best at spotting scams but i do think the poor guy is for real. It is for the Queen, after all. I say we have a whip round and send him the cash

5. Mark

Give him the real thing

Given this lads level of devotion, I reckon we should hand over the genuine article for another 500 quid, with Phil the Greek thrown in as a freebie. I bet yer man would be delighted to have a genuine Monarch gracing his living room rather than an old painting, and it would remove a constitutional barrier to a UK republic.

6. Rhys

Republic?

You silly republican revolutionaries try deposing the monarch and I'll head over from the colonies and join the royalist cause, I'll even supply my own rifle and ammo.

God save the Queen, And if He won't We Will

7. Gleb

How's this 419?

419 is when you say "look chummy, I don't know who you are, and you don't know who I am. All you need to know, is that I'm going to give you ONE BILLION GILLION FIFFILION GABAZILLION POUNDS STERLING, and all I need is a post mark, and maybe some spare change to feed my uncle, who, by the way was a prince of Kuala Lumpur untill some naughty militants took over just untill very recently. This is a really good deal for you, seeing as how you invest very little, and the rewards are very high." After you rush to the post office to order 1000 pristine postmarks with the Queen depicted upside-down and inside-out, you get the second letter, the one about the lawyers and the banks and the fees. It goes something along the lines of "Hey dear chap, well, since now we are invested into this venture, we might as well go a little further. See, well, if I don't get 2000 pounds right away, I will be chopped to bits, my uncle will starve to death and the money? You can forget about it." This is of course when a lot of even the dimmest of the dimwits bail, but you - you perservere asking the poor black man to join your chirch and to write "I am a chicken, bukaaah!" on a piece of paper. Sometimes you can even make them act out a short scene from Monty Python...

That's what 419 is. Free entertainment at the expense of oppressed people, who want to scam you out of your millions of dollars.

This? This is just rubbish!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why doesn't

Why doesn't everyone send him a jpeg of the queen... and then a bill for $500 for 'services rendered' (which apparently he can afford--why wasn't this in pounds if he's buying a portrait of the queen)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Here is another one

http://www.thestar.com/article/258085

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Gleb

Oy, you leave Kuala Lumpur out of this, we don't have princes here, what with being a federal territory an' all

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. call me scruffy

WTF?!

This doesn't even look like a request for a loan!

Not even the staunchest monarchist is going to throw $2000 so someone else can buy themselves a painting of dear old lizzie, no matter how young and nubile she looked in 1960.

This just shows what a lawless and chaotic state Nigeria is! They don't even have training schemes and quality contols for their leading industry!

13. Stuart Gray

Solution

Send him a 1960 penny - beautiful copper bas relief sculpture of the lady herself.

Stuart

14. HonourableTyr

Comma

It would seem, to me, that he thinks, the comma, is a general piece of punctuation, that is t be slotted in wherever possible,

and a few more for good measure,,,

15. Slim

stamps?

Well he wants a picture of the queen to studdy/work on (i dont think i want to know what he means by "work on") why dont we send him a stamp? it has the queens face on it! or even a 2p coin?

16. Richard

Self portrait ?

"themyths of the painting is that it was painted and presented to the museum by the queen during her visit the country,during the their colonial years."

It was painted and presented by the Queen ? I never knew she was into self portraits..

17. Dave

So he wants money then?

Why don't you ask for his bank account details, etc, etc? This is surely all topsy turvy for a 419...

18. pctechxp

I'd lend him the money

for 500% interest paid in advance by Western Union of course.

19. InsertMyNameHere

Protect our cultural inheritance!

Contribute to the University Of Liverpool's purchase fund NOW!

This topic is closed for new posts.