back to article Toshiba MK6465GSX 640GB laptop hard drive

Toshiba is the first manufacturer to deliver a 2.5in laptop hard drive that packs more than 500GB of storage. Its new MK6465GSX sports 640GB on two platters, and while we are aware that the Western Digital Scorpio Blue and Seagate Momentus 5400.7 are also available in 640GB models we haven’t seen either drive to date. Toshiba …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A. H. O. Thabeth

Can't see Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB - Really

I bought one from yoyoTech a couple of weeks ago and it is now in my MacBook Pro.

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/western-digital-scorpio-blue-640gb-internal-sata-hard-drive-p-3134981.html

They, yoyoTech, only have one left as I type this but this goes to show that they do exist in the wild.

Price:£100.97 inc VAT

2. Righteously Indignant
    WTF?

haven't seen one??

you're not trying hard enough... I have had my WD Blue 640GB for about 2 months now...

I'll be happier when they bring out the 'black' variant but it does what I need it to do!

3. mike2R

Think the Western Digital beat it...

We had some 640GB Scorpio Blues come through in late October from dabs.com. We had the 750GB Scorpios in late September as well from somewhere, although those are a 12.5mm height unit.

Both are unobtainable at the moment but they definitely have been around.

4. Alex Walsh

Re: Scorpio Blues

I think what El Reg means by "we haven't seen" is "WD haven't deigned to give us drives to review".

5. Steven Knox
    Coat

I see no reason...

why anyone should ever need more than 640GB.

*ducks*

6. Justin Clements

haven't seen one? etc

Cmon guys, I could buy the 640s last month off the shelf at a local shop!

If you haven't been given a review drive at least say that, than pretend they aren't available yet.

7. vincent himpe

sleepyheads...

The toshiba drive has been avilalbe at least for 4 motnhs. I have a couple in the external USB drive from toshiba with 640Gbyte capacity. Bought them when Circuitcity went bellyup... that was months ago...

Time moves fast... Blink and it'll be 2010

8. Simon Langley
    Unhappy

Disappointed they aren't bigger

I have had a 500GB in my main laptop for more than a year now. When I bought it, it was twice the size of its predecessor and of course, I have had no trouble filling it up.

I had rather hoped that by now there would be 750GB or even 1TB 2.5" 9.5mm drives (stupid mixed units) but 640GB is such a small increase that it's just not worth spending £120 for another 140GB.

Perhaps I my expectations of progress are too high but I am distinctly underwhelmed.

9. Bill Neal
    Grenade

PS3

I'm thinking a faster SSD in my PS3 +NAS @1TB on 100mb ethernet ought to to well for my DivX video collection. This drive is tempting though, considering the price.

10. pshankland
    FAIL

First 640Gb?

I am a bit confused as have an external Freecom ToughDrive which has a 640Gb 2.5" drive installed and have had it for a few weeks now. Don't know what actual drive it has inside as am not going to take it apart but definatly a 2.5" 640Gb drive!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like