back to article Mozilla shoots out fifth Firefox 3.6 beta

Mozilla has released a fifth - and surely final - beta of Firefox 3.6, a complete version of which it plans to spin out before the end of 2009. The Firefox 3.6 beta 5 update comes with a few tweaks to how Mozilla allows third party software to slot into the browser. The change should help prevent crashes, said the open source …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dumbed and Slowed Down

Well, they also promised that 3.5 was the "fastest ever" and I ended up uninstalling back to 3.0.15.

I just don't get it that today's young guns don't give a toss about efficient software. Its all about eye candy, lets copy Apple crap.

Yes I want a nice interface, but don't grind my year old laptop / modern netbook to a halt !!!

2. Not Terry Wogan
    Alert

Firefox 3.6

If the developers want to grant the world a special Christmas gift, it would be just smashing if, instead of shitting out a half-baked version of Firefox 3.6, their gift could be to promise to continue testing until it has slightly fewer vulnerabilities and stability issues than 3.5.

Then it'd be a truly happy Christmas. Although I'm easily pleased because the only Christmas present I'm getting this year is a sack full of medical waste.

3. Defiant
    Grenade

Bias

I noticed you didn't attack FF lole you usually do with IE

4. Eddie Johnson
    Happy

Oh, the Irony

"This version is also faster and more responsive than previous versions, and has been optimised to run on small device operating systems such as Windows CE and Maemo,"

I hope they said that with a sense of irony. Its such a meaningless cliche that invariably is proven false in the real world.

5. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Eh?

>slightly fewer vulnerabilities and stability issues than 3.5.<

What stability issues? Win7 has crashed more times than FF3.5 for me. Mind you, I tend to only have 7 or so required plugins and never more than 10 tabs open at the same time, of which I close those I'm finished with. I also close and restart FF as and when I need it, and whilst I think the memory footprint is excessive, it doesn't seem much worse than the other browsers out there (I've tried Opera, Chrome, IE 6, 7, 8 - but always return to Firefox, for purely personal preferences, I wouldn't say any one browser is better than another, and IE8 is leaps and bounds better than its predecessors).

As for vulnerabilities, isn't that part and parcel of being windows based? Java and Flash basically open the back door to your system, use NoScript (only available for FF) or a decent firewall, I've heard no reports of Ubuntu FF being easily hacked, but I'm not sure I didn't misunderstood your original point (double negatives FTW).

My one complaint about FF is the UI is too small (touch screen lappy here y'all) by default, but even that can be changed by the user by simply editing text files.

In conclusion, I like, very much, Firefox 3.5, looking forward to .6 and V4 looks to be heading in a good direction, UI wise.

6. Keith T
    FAIL

Firefox definitely needs to work on speed (and compatibility).

Firefox definitely needs to work on speed and compatibility.

Especially with the many Flash-based websites I frequent, I find Firefox 3.5.6 very slow compared to MSIE 8 and Google Chrome.

The only reason I haven't uninstalled Firefox is its superior password management.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Plug-ins

How do they manage to break the plug-in ABI with every release? Have they never heard of the benefits of compatibility?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Back To IE8

I hate to say it, but in recent days the latest release of FireFux has let me down very badly, to the extent where I had to use IE8. It seemed to have a problem with DNS when a lick was clinked on a web page, it would regularly present a "page not found" error - which IE8 didn't do.

It's a damn shame that the kiddies who are rolling out these releases don't stop and take their time to test properly.

And Paris because I'd like to stop and test her properly before licking her clinks.

9. scottbrown_14

Stopped using it at 3.5

I use it for CSS coding and that's about it these days. Was using it for years before though. It takes too long to load - admittedly I have a few extensions but nothing extortionate. Using Chrome as it's perfect for quick simple browsing.

10. Shiva64
    Thumb Up

Impressed for now.

While Firefox have had it's issues in v3.5, I am so far impressed with the latest beta. I have just installed it and so I haven't been able to test it out fully, but as it is right now, it already starts up faster than 3.5, and it even loaded up all my tabs from 3.5, and was still faster.

I've been having issues with 'page not found', so we'll see if I still get it in this beta. I honestly thought it was my wifi drivers or something.. now I know it's pretty much a Firefox issue.

I'm also running Vista Home Premium 32bit (2GHz, 3GB Ram), and we all know how slow Vista is, so yeah. So having a latest Firefox actually loading up as fast as they claim, is good in my eyes for the time being.

This topic is closed for new posts.