back to article China cages game Trojan hackers

Chinese authorities have sentenced 11 members of a malware gang to long stretches behind bars, after the group was convicted of creating and distributing Trojans designed to steal the login credentials of online gamers. The malware slingers were sentenced to up to three years behind bars and fined a total of $120,000. More …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Do not collect any gold"

Do they still do that? I quit those games back in the Spectrum day. Back when 'Mary' kept slapping me across the face. She probably did that a lot, eh?

Anyway I guess I figured I wasn't gonna get laid somewhere like Valhalla.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Damn straight they do..

A WoW account often has more resale value than the average credit card number, in the wrong circles. Harvesting them via trojans delivered as banner ads (through careless but innocent ad networks) is a very popular vector.

This has the obvious advantage of catching people who'd never install dodgy binaries from a torrent or other stereotypically risky activity- and thus whose defenses might not be up to scratch, too.

2. Simon B
    WTF?

Poxy fine

made $4.4 million, fined $120,000.

Wow, a real incentive ... to become a criminal.

1. Oninoshiko
      Boffin

does crime pay?

you have to consider the 3 years behind bars too...

hours in a work year (aprox.) 2085

work hours in jail: 2085*3=6255

profit 4,400,000 - 120000 = 4280000

devided equallly between them: 4280000/11 = 389090.91

now break that down to an hourly wage: 389090.91/6255=$62.20/hr

This assumes that the time spent manageing the scam it value-equivelent to the cost of food/shelter/etc while in prison)

In 2004, the average chinese wage in urban areas was 7947 USD / 2085 hr = $7.75/hr

(http://www.worldsalaries.org/china.shtml)

Not too bad. Bussness sense says crime pays!

(the accountant)

3. Antony 2
    Paris Hilton

China, prison?

I thought China, executed you for everything.

Paris, because she likes Trojans.

4. Steen Hive
    Thumb Up

Definitely an improvement

on a bullet in the back of the neck.

5. I didn't do IT.
    Pirate

Crime does pay

Although I definitely would not want to find myself in a Chinese prision or any amount of time (The Dark Knight movie sequences non-withstanding), a 120,000 fine and "up to" three years for a (hopefully larger amount) share of 4.4 mil - wow.

1. King John
      Boffin

batman

wasn't it Batman Begins where Bruce Waine was in a Chinese prison, prior to joining the league of shadows?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Susan Express maybe?

Where's the Susan Express angle? (only WoW players will get this one...)

7. Ammaross Danan
    Paris Hilton

Designer Bags

We all know that these chinese blokes just wanted the new designer Harris Pilton bags that Blizzard just released in-game.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Value

Obviously people who pay to play the WoW grindfest will pay extra to avoid all the grinding. They would not fund crime if a legal alternative were available. Perhaps Blizzard should offer a special premium account. For a little extra money each month, a Blizzard employee will play the game for you so you don't have to.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like