back to article BMW uncloaks ActiveE

BMW has revealed the next step in its leccy car development cycle - the ActiveE. ActiveE_02 BMW's ActiveE electric car Based on BMW’s 1-Series Coupé, the ActiveE has a lithium-ion battery pack in the space previously occupied by the engine, fuel tank and drive train. This helps preserve the car's internal space and weight …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Never sell...

"ActiveE's top speed has been electronically limited to 90mph"

So that rules out of 90% BMW drivers. How on earth will they cope having to do only 90mph in dense fog?

1. Gulfie
      Thumb Up

Easily...

It'll just mean they can spend more time playing with their iPhones, like the git I followed down the M40 on Monday morning....

2. LucanUK
      Coat

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

... its okay.. they never turn their fog lights off anyways!!!

Technically I just slagged my self off but ya cant beat a good generalisation!

3. N2

90 mph/

Im just changing up from second then!

4. Dale 3

@Never sell...

Another reason for a Jailbreak then.

2. Jim Coleman
    Grenade

Well..

If it'll do 100 miles in the hands of a granny, then your average BMW driver should just about be able to get to the end of the street before having to be towed back home.

Great idea!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Sounds dangerous

Uh should we really be designing apps to use in your car with a phone?

I can see a lot of court cases where people say they werent using their phone... just turning on the AC with their iphone when they ploughed into a tree/bus full of school kids.

Also amusing BMW drivers must all own iphones.. more status symbols for the weak minded.

4. Michael Souris
    Alert

Tomorrow Never Dies

A BMW you can remote control with a phone? If you can drive it around a multi-storey car park and "park" it in an Avis rental office, I want one...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Megacity Vehicle"

When I read that I thought we were going to get a Lawmaster!

http://www.sfdb.org.uk/view/Lawmaster-Bike

6. Gulfie
    Thumb Up

Fantastic...

Now when can I order one with a 400 mile range? I'm buying a new car in two years time and I want it to be electric. No more expensive services. No more expensive petrol. Simples.

7. stu 4

BMW Drivers

Hey - what's the the BMW driver jokes!

we're not all muppets. honest guv.

Hell, I ran over a gypsy this morning and I even stopped the car and reversed over him several times to make sure he wasn't under any suffering.

stu

(X5 v8 and an M Roadster)

8. DRendar
    FAIL

Fog Lights

Not to mention that their constantly leaving their front Foggies switched on will reduce that range considerably.

9. LuMan
    Flame

Extras

Yes, but does it come with non-working indicators and free lobotomy like all regular BMWs?

10. Keith Oldham

Battery life

I wonder how much mileage will be left after remotely switching on the heating or AC ?

11. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Great!

So now mobile phones are so complicated, I have to buy a car to control one.

12. A 31
    Coat

oh oh

love the bmw jokes, especially from fiesta drivers :D

if you can't afford comfort and good drive, slag it off, that's the spirit (I do that with people that own yachts)

On the topic at hand though, where are we to find all the rare metals to use on all these batteries ? will that become the new petrol ?

and what will we do in 10 years with millions of batteries to throw away ?

iPhone remote, interesting ... thieves will just need to hack your phone, much cleaner, and less disruption with broken glass etc.... like it !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: 100 mile range

That's today, but since lithium-ion battery - what about in 2 years? 50 miles

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

"Find the nearest charging station."

Finally *someone* realises that electric cars need an infrastructure they can use.

Given the motor is integrated into the back axle does this mean there is no *actual* gearbox as well? Note that does not mean there is no gear lever, merely that it requests the EMU to shuffle the current/voltage settings on the power control unit.

That just leaves finding some way to regen the power from the suspension system to be the state of the art in electric vehicles.

Now what happens when the battery expires after 3 years?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Another BMW wannabe-but-never-quite-makes-it just like their off-road (hahahahahahahaha) attempts.

Actually, who cares - nobody who can actually drive courteously and safely drives a BMW anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

RE: nobody who can actually drive courteously and safely drives a BMW anyway.

please tell us your vehicle make and reg - I wouldn't want to disappoint you and let you out of a junction or other courteous action while in my BMW - not that I would expect you'd notice anyway, most people only notice the bankers in BMW but seem to ignore them in any other make you can name

16. Yorkshirepudding
    Flame

eRattic drive

will it include a program to switch frantically between lanes? and to dive off accross 3 lanes from the outside for the slip road, and a special app to ride someones bumper from inches away

cocks!

This topic is closed for new posts.