back to article Which games console is most web 2.0-friendly?

Both Wii and PS3 have web browsers, but it's fair to say that web surfing is a secondary feature for both. It's all about the games really, with a side-order of Blu-Ray goodness in PS3's case. However, Web 2.0 will be a factor in both - for example, Sony's upcoming Home virtual world, and Nintendo's connected News Channel and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adrianm

Which version of Wii internet channel?

Wii internet channel was upgraded a few days back - did you test with this version? Also, the WII internet channel is still a free public beta and will be a cost channel when done. I don't know whether the PS3 version is considered finished.

2. Anderw Guard

PS3 and Linux + Firefox

So how many sites work if you install Linux on your PS3 and run Firefox as your browser?

I bet those problem site's just work then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS3 browser...

...sucks.

Oh you want details?

Firstly it has a slow and just plain nasty interface, but what makes it borderline unusable is its regular and infathomable 'out of memory error' that crops up on sites which work on all other browsers.

The PS3 has 256Mb and refuses to display www.mac.com point blanks and its flaky on GMail - so for all its glitz I can't use the PS3 as a living room computer alternative.

Opera on the Wii? Fantastic, works like a dream, although a bluetooth keyboard that works with the console would be like adding Catherine Deneuve to that dream.

4. Eric

Linux on PS3...

"So how many sites work if you install Linux on your PS3 and run Firefox as your browser?

I bet those problem site's just work then."

Why do people always feel the need to make this argument. This article was written for the people who just want to turn the console on and expect it to work as it is. Not people who want to install an entirely different OS on their video game machine. Most people probably wouldn't even know how to begin to do this anyway unless Sony released an official installation CD.

Is everyone so unimpressed by there PS3 that they need to install Linux on it to make themselves feel better? Please, you either prefer a PS3, or a Wii, or an Xbox, it's your choice. Just because someone has a different preference doesn't make theirs wrong.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Which version of Wii internet channel?

'Also, the WII internet channel is still a free public beta and will be a cost channel when done.'

The recent release is not a beta, Nintendo just don't start charging till June, presumably as a benefit for early adopters.

It has been said that there will be future updates to the browser, but I don't know how regular these will be.

6. Highlander

Hmm... Funny thing

Funny that Nintendo just release the working version of Opera for the Wii, it only took them, what? six months?

That said, Sony has the same problems with the PSP browser, I would bet that the PS3 browser is a port of the code from the PSP. Sad.

Sony really needs to take the Firefox source code and have it compiled for the native PS3. I can't imagine that the Mozilla people would be too unhappy with a PS3 version of the browser since there would immediately be millions more people using it.

7. Chris Pasiuk

Linux on PS3 = possible selling point

Granted I for one am not inclined to drop $600ish (US) on a console without some other meritous feature. The fact that it's still the cheapest route to go HD for personal video is the same reasoning behind my initial PS2 purchase years and years ago for DVD--before the throw-away $30 DVD players of today. Being able to load linux extends the usablility of the box to more than something to play with and increases shelf life.

Of course, this linux option still doesn't tip the scales in purchasing one as you can buy another PC for the same price and get more bang for your buck. Blue-ray VS HDDVD is still raging so there is that risk of getting shafted for video (see Betamax) in the long run if HDDVD wins the fight. Considering that I can load linux on my NDS I wouldn't be surprised if in short order you can do the same on a Wii. <shrug>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

input device

How easy is it to enter addresses and navigate around each system? The PS3 can use a bluetooth keyboard. For the Wii you have to slooowly click each letter on the virtual keyboard using the wiimote. Cba. Wii - 1, PS3 - 3 (and I own a Wii).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like