back to article El Reg's PARIS programme attracts high-flying sponsor

We're delighted to announce today that our Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) programme has attracted sponsorship from Peer 1 - the international hosting firm which has demonstrated it has the Right Stuff by backing our audacious upper-atmosphere plane plan. PARIS: Sponsored by Peer 1 For those of you not up to speed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve X

Ground breaking?

Are you sure that "ground breaking" is the best choice of words for the hoped-for result of a pointy object being dropped from a great height?

2. Steve Jeffery
    Joke

Wouldn't

Hilton have been a more amusing sponsor?

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Does the Earth Move for You, or are ITs Pleasures Singular in Space?*

Roll on Friday. ...... for the Damp Squib or Colossal Rocket, Moment of Truth Stand Up and be Counted Moment which makes Time in Space Memorable or Instantly Forgettable in the Chronicles of Lost Opportunity, Vol. Umpteen....... and given the very great likelihood that Friday will be El Reg's Monumental XXXXmas Party Piss Up dDay, don't be expecting any Prisoners to be Taken to Hostile Fortune or Flaming Fame in the Opening AIGambit of a Great Game in GlobalPlay?

* The Universal Lovers' Lament.

4. Carsten Holmskov
    WTF?

Small lady ?

For some reason, when I go on the Website link it shows a geeky guy with glasses.

Am I missing something here or did the "small lady" have a gender change ?

5. Andrew Moore

Okay...

You've got the sponsor and the logo. Now where's the merchandising???

1. Bassey

Quite right

Where are the "PARIS does it in zero gravity" T-Shirts?

6. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Good luck PARIS

Good luck Paris, I hope you don't end up going down on someone. May you stay up for as long as possible!

7. Andus McCoatover

You're probably quicker than the Dreamliner!

But, I bet that wasn't conceived in a pub...

First, I think you need a Japanese bloke to make it. The're good at folding paper.

Second, if you look at Butan's design for 'spaceship 1', they drop it vertically out of a practically airfree atmosphere with the tail fins at 90 degrees, until air resistance is met.

Seems to be the braking you folks are looking at.

So, some sort of simple-ish air-pressure pipe, pistons pushing the tail to 'normal flight' angle...

IANAAE*, natch

Just a thought. I look forward to living long enough to see its flight! Go, folks, GO!!!!

*I am not an aeronautical engineer.

8. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Heart

Wencesleyne Ong, has right stuff.

What a great name!

She sounds like she has the right stuff, El Reg we need you to do a World Exclusive interview right now with the lady.

Don't forget, we need lots of sexy pictures of her draped over the PARIS spaceship in a spacesuit with the zip undone teasing us with a glimpse of sexy underwear underneath.

While I have this mental image in my head right now I need you to also ask if she is currently single, but don't tell my wife, shhhhh.

Yeah, merchandising is also needed for this important project.

9. Pawel 1
    Boffin

Still looking for release mechanism?

How about some tin with carefully calculated amount of catalyst added? Tin pest stopped Napoleon from pwning Russia, so it seems like the perfect way to launch Vulture 1.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

buttons

y'know, I don't think boney lost the land war in asia because his soldiers' buttons fell off

10. Cucumber C Face
    Pint

Negative carbon footprint

The carbon captured in the paper shall be removed from our atmosphere. PARIS will thus secure the future of the planet.

On behalf of all polar bears in the Seychelles we thank and wish you God's speed.

11. Annihilator
    Coat

More money

Why not take Sky's approach to this and make it a paper view event?...

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Kevin Reader
    Thumb Up

Errrm... What do they host exactly...

Now having done the Reg proud by visiting their sponsors website I encountered some curious banners.... With all the talk about Paris it seems to have gone to their *heads*....

"No BS. Just the support you need when you need it." - well that's promising, especially as Paris is perhaps more focussed on self promotion than support. Although she did make the best presidential advert.

"We listen, get to work and don't rest until your satisfied. " - Now that is the kind of statement we have come to associate with PARIS. Perfect.

PS: They claim to be a hosting firm and yet their banner has a Female:Male ratio of 2:1 and everyone is attractive, even the bloke. Posed by models I reckon.

14. CADmonkey
    Headmaster

"no overage fees"

I should hope not, in these enlightened times.

15. lawndart
    Go

PARIS innnnn spaaaaaaace

Don't forget, el Reg, that it is customary for spacecraft launching agencies to put downloadable card models of their craft on their website for educational purposes.

Also don't forget to put some LEDs onboard, so Britain can once again have a "light in the sky."

Will there be any escape system for the intrepid Playmobile astronaut?

16. Cliff

Experiments on board?

I propose you print a sudoku on one wing to see if there's intelligent life in space.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Mmmm...

Advertainment!

Thanks, El Reg!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

plane

Having spent the last week making sure my nephew's christmas present, the Klutz Book of Paper Aeroplanes, is up to scratch, I strongly recommend the Nakamura Lock design for it's elegance and superb gliding ability.

19. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Horns

Champion?

Would that be Champion the Wonder Horse?

Sorry, us baby boomers really should keep out of the way.

This topic is closed for new posts.