back to article Attacks spread malware with help from AppleInsider

Malware purveyors are exploiting web vulnerabilities in appleinsider.com, lawyer.com, news.com.au and a dozen other sites to foist rogue anti-virus on unsuspecting netizens. The ongoing attacks are notable because they use exploits based on XSS, or cross-site scripting, to hide malware links inside the URLs of trusted sites. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AppleInsider?

Isn't AppleInsider a bit of an odd choice for a site that tries to trick you into thinking your Windows box is broken, as I imagine most of its visitors will be using OS X?

"A series of redirect links ultimately leads to a site that looks similar to a Microsoft Windows screen with a popup claiming the PC is overrun with malware. The user is prompted to download rogue anti-virus to fix the imaginary problem."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

It's an Apple ploy

Just as with the Nexus One, this is an Apple ploy. Clearly, the only people who will be affected by this when reading Apple Insider are those running Windows. This just might give them the push they need to go buy an Apple, or so they reckon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oi!

Bloody hell! Shush! All part of Steve's secret plan to get people over to the fruity side by hook or crook!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not terribly well-targeted, is it?

After all, most visitors to Appleinsider will be running OS X. Which, erm, isn't vulnerable to malware delivered via MS-DOS executable.

4. RichyS
    FAIL

Phew!

Thankfully I browse AppleInsider on my Mac...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Few....

...thank god I use Windows and wouldn't vist a site with poor security design such as Appleinsider.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ RichyS

Ew... you have a Mac...

* Flamesuit [ ON ]

This topic is closed for new posts.