back to article Neon sues IBM over 'anticompetitive' mainframe tactics

This summer, when Neon Enterprise Software launched its zPrime software for moving legacy workloads on IBM's mainframe engines to lower-cost specialty engines, it was only a matter of time before the lawsuits began. As it turns out, Neon, which is seeing its zPrime business thwarted by what it claims are unfair business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Time to bitchslap IBM

And hope they get the message. They're good at screwing their employees. wonder how it feels to get screwed at the corporate level? maybe someone at the top will get hammered in the ass instead of the folks at the bottom of the ladder.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Share the pain

Oh yeah, some judge bitchslaps IBM and the executives take some pain? Instead of the employees? Exactly which planet are you from?

Not that I'd like the execs to benefit in anyway, but I think this complaint is absolute bull. IBM sells and licences its set of products to its customers, who have a choice and understand what they are doing. If they subsequently break the contractual agreement and wish they should get something cheaper....well....wouldn't we all? Selling tools to support that behaviour sounds pretty dodgy to me. And moaning if IBM won't co-operate, or enforces its licence agreements....cry me a river...

The software sounds great, but its not got a legitimate environment to operate in...

2. airmikee

<rolls eyes>

"This is akin to a homeowner tampering with his electrical meter to save money."

I wish people that have no concept of how to make an analogy would stop making analogies.

It is nothing like a homeowner tampering with the electrical meter, because the homeowner does not own the electrical meter. It's akin to a homeowner tampering with his network setup to configure it for use in the front room AND bedroom.

I hope IBM gets slammed.

1. Jesper Frimann
      Big Brother

Well it's not like it's any different than...

lets say you bought a SUN server with a hefty graphics card. You have to do serious graphics presentation of data that is located in a Oracle database, on the same machine.

And lets say that a smart company then let you offload certain parts of the Oracle code to run in the graphics card, which then means that you only have to buy half the Oracle licenses.

1) Would you expect to get support when the graphics card corrupted your data ?

2) Would you expect Oracle to get on your butt and try to charge you extra licenses as you are basically circumventing their license rules ?

3) Would you expect Oracle to void any support you would be able to get ?

and and and ...

That is what the problem is all about.

// Jesper

3. Ian Michael Gumby

The Irony...

You have two existing and recognized monopolies... Microsoft and IBM.

The EU has the ability to block a third Oracle/Sun.

But will that happen?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like