back to article Novell rejigs self, waves bye to CTO

NetWare and Linux operating system seller Novell has been trying to expand into other markets since the late 1980s, and it has reorganized so many times it is hard to keep track. Today, the company did it again, saying that effective January 1, it would be consolidating from four different business units down to two. With …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Dowd
    Coat

Deck chairs

"Doesn't matter how many times we rearrange these chairs, the fricken' ship's still floating."

Mine's the one with the flare and the whistle.

2. Goat Jam
    Unhappy

I sort of feel sorry for Novell

Ever since MS went and ate their lunch in the '90s.

Their MS deal was obviously an act of desperation on their part and a token gesture on ms part to keep up the pretence that they have competition in the market.

1. Jolly Roger

@GoatJam

Which Market ? If you are talking Identity and Access management then MS is nowhere. Novell are streets ahead in this arena.

Just check out Identity Manager, fantastic product used in many large organizations.

1. Goat Jam

Niche player

I remember when Novell was *the* market. Back when being a CNE was actually useful for getting jobs. Back when every business had a Netware server or two.

They may still have some decent products now, Netware is certainly a better server OS than Windows, but nevertheless, they are (and have been for years) struggling to stay relevant and afloat, and it has been that way ever since MS introduced the point and click style of server management allowing any clueless numbnut to call himself a "server admin" and undercut the proper admins in the job market. The MCSE cert is a joke compared to the CNA

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's that sinking feeling again

Novell only has 3,600 employees. A bigger fish out there somewhere must be keeping a watchful eye.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all I can say is...

...meh. Just how relevant is Novell anymore? I used to be a huge fan of their software, used to work in a Netware shop, and thought their acquisition of Suse was a bold and daring move. But like the rest of their acquisitions and developments, they buried it in their own complete lack of being able to sell or promote anything. Then they sealed their fate with the "agreement" with Microsoft. What a complete fecking waste. They had some great products and completely threw them away. And I, for one, will never use Suse again. It should be noted that I am a former stockholder and am happy to be rid of it.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Giving them more time to focus on the important business

Of kicking the remins of SCO to death.

6. Hans 1
    Gates Horns

@Seth G - same here

Same here, no more Suse ... I still remember Suse 7.0 ... ;-( They sealed their fate with the MS deal ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like