back to article LG 42SL9000 42in LED-backlit TV

LG’s 42SL9000 is billed as a ‘frameless’ set, and indeed the pictures on the website seem to give the impression of the picture spilling out of the frame, in an immersive manner that’s somewhat reminiscent of Philips' Ambilight. LG 42SL9000 LG's 42SL9000: when is a frame not a frame? So it’s a bit of a disappointment on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Given that this is a "borderless" tv...

...why not a single picture showing it in use? Or is it just too disappointing?

1. serviceWithASmile

copyright infringement

need i say more?

2. kparsons84

No HD tuner

There is really no point buying ANY new TV over the next 6 months or so, whatever the price and however good it is - none of them will have freeview HD tuners in them, meaning buying another set-top box and having the hassles of going through an aux input just to watch them!

Feel sorry for anyone thats splasing out on a new tv and doesnt fully appreciate this fact - you can be sure the salesman in currys wont be pointing it out to them (if any of them really understand it anyway).

Same issue with the HDD recorders. Wait a year, then both will have the necessary tuner in-built. Have to be a fool to buy one at the moment!

1. Thecowking

Not quite

If you have Virgin or Sky HD then you're fine.

2. Eddie Edwards

@ kparsons84

I suspect you'd have to be a bit of a fool to pay that much money for a 42" TV these days, too.

3. Gav H.
      WTF?

Re

Err, there's nothing foolish about using an aux tuner to supply your screen with an image. In fact it has some benefits depending on your requirements.

3. Daniel Owen

Freeview HD

Unless of course you are in an area where freeview HD is going to take a while anyway.... or you already have a HD service from Sky or VM.

OR you are one of the 90% of HD TV owners that don't use a HD TV service and just want HD gaming and bluray.

BTW I have Sky HD so I don't mind winning one :D

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing, Hyperbole etc...

....it's a(nother) f*cking television....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flush Wall Mounting...

Well who's gonna see the hole in the drylining? Especially since the only way to wall mount is to route the leads inside the wall anyway.. hence a bigger hole just works!

6. jason 7
    Stop

So how does it sound?

With that very thin profile?

Are the built in speakers useable or does it only really work with a AV setup.

Yes I know most folks would buy such a TV for an AV setup but not all of us want boxes, speakers and cables everywhere.

7. Chippy-Minton
    Pint

Tuners bah!

I wouldn't bother worrying about built in tuners, there is always going to be a new technology or an upgrade on the horizon. Like a computer monitor a TV does or should have a much longer product life cycle.

Another downside is all TV tuners are NOT created equal, some deinterlace better than others, others decode/render/ sharpen better. There is no garantee the built in one is going to be particularly good.

Of course in the UK the leading supplier is Sky which means an external box under all circumstances.

I really wish there was some broadcasting legislation regarding digital TV receivers. That for example is why every European TV has a standard SCART plug (it started out as a legal requirement in France). Another bugbear is TV box power consumption, often the same in "standby" as leaving it on. As far as I can tell, on my box it just blanks the picture, especially as the sound is still there on the RCAs!

8. stuart 23

HDMI Ports? 3 or 4?

You tells us this has 4 HDMI ports, however many retails websites tell us it only has 3. Which is it? or are there different versions available?

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Four

Three on the back, one on the side. I suppose if you're quick, you might miss the one on the side, being charitable...

9. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Bright power lights are not a problem...

... when you have electrical tape. Takes hardly any at all.

Paris, because when she gets too bright and annoying, electrical tape would be capable of helping although it would take quite a bit more.

10. MarkOne
    FAIL

But still badly flawed like all LCD televisions

With rubbish viewing angles, non-blacks and rubbish response times.

Despire manufacturers trying to tempt you with silly prices and slim sets, Plasma is still where the quality is. (until OLED is viable).

11. Gary Halford

Power lights definitely no problem

...as LG provided a setting to turn them off, I know as I've just got the 47" and it's great.

@MarkOne. LCD or Plasma is a preference and you may love Plasmas but others like myself don't. I do agree with you on OLEDs but I'm not waiting.

This topic is closed for new posts.