back to article Kindle app comes to UK iPhones

Amazon has at long last updated its iPhone-based virtual Kindle e-book reader to allow punters outside the US to buy and read digital books. The update, which takes the app to version 1.3, brings Kindle support to a total of 60 countries. The download is free of charge. A flaw, however, is that there's no way to integrate e- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ewan 3
    Unhappy

On the subject of Stanza

Are there actually any outlets that let you buy books on Stanza? I tried a bunch of publishers and got through to the purchase stage only to be told that I was in the UK and thus unable to purchase...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Stanza?

I was under the impression that Stanza was a good sort of inbetweeny app that converted ebooks from one format to another.

There is an iPhone eReader app that is free and bundled with last of the mohicans in ebook form.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward

'I was under the impression that Stanza was a good sort of inbetweeny app that converted ebooks from one format to another.'

Stanza's a (very good) eBook reader, nothing else. Are you perhaps thinking of Calibre, which is, a fabulous utility for getting (most) eBooks to talk nicely with (most) eBook readers.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

1. bygjohn
        Thumb Up

@ Mike Richards

Actually it's both. The Stanza iPhone app is just a reader (and a good one), the Stanza desktop (Win and Mac) is also a reader, and will convert lots of formats to ePub and can be used to then copy books over to the iPhone app.

3. Si 1

@ewan 3

Tell me about it. I used to use the eReader app and buy books from ereader.com. Suddenly this summer whatever book I tried to buy I was told it was unavailable in the UK. Luckily they can't just delete books I've already bought from my device like a certain other company is able to do...

I've had a quick go with the Kindle Reader and it's OK, but a few searches shows the selection of books available for the UK is patchy.

4. M Gale
    Thumb Down

Joy

So now articles can be unpublished from the Applephone as well.

Sorry, but I like my paper. It's not like I'm going to get through more than one book on the train anyway, it doesn't need batteries and there's no chance of the people who sold it to me breaking into my house and stealing it because they cocked up with the copyright.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like