back to article US Congress seeks control over NASA moonshot

Members of the US Congress are preparing to battle Obama's White House over control of NASA's Constellation moon-rocket program. The House of Representatives on Thursday passed a major 2010 spending bill that would effectively tie Obama's hands if he attempts to make changes to the current Constellation program. The 2010 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChessGeek

Pork-Barrel Politics as Usual

Any statements to the contrary by the politicians involved may be safely disregarded.

2. gollux
    Grenade

Both hands and a flashlight...

This oughta be something to watch. What the hell does a congress know about rocket science and aerospace management? The combined knowledge of that whole body on the subject could probably fill an 8 page religious pamphlet.

1. Dave Harris

Well,

Senator John Glenn might know a thing or two, although he did retire in the late 90's

3. ian 22
    Troll

Alabama?

Isn't that the state that (by legislative fiat) decreed that the value of Pi was to "3"? Base 10, I suppose, although I think the concept may have been beyond their grasp.

Muppets, all of them. Obese muppets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No it isn't

"...safest, most advanced, and most efficient vehicle we have at NASA" My arse

It certainly is the most efficient as parts break up and are destroyed, unlike a reusable shuttle.

It's putting people without passports that believe in creationism in charge of the most advanced human endeavour at the forefront of technological research.

One small step for man, one massive step back for human advancement.

5. Titus Aduxass
    FAIL

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Although it pains me to say this (having been brought up during the pioneering days of Gemini) if Congress really are in charge of decisions about Ares/Constellation and/or and alternative programs, I think we can safely count the US out of any serious manned space exploration in the future.

Gilruth, Low, Kraft, Lunney, Slayton, Webb, Mueller & Co must be turning in their graves.

Except for Chris & Glynn neither of whom are in a grave.

I'll get my coat and PLSS

6. Xander Dent
    FAIL

Errrmmm, wut?

"This bill not only saves but preserves the survival of the safest, most advanced, and most efficient vehicle we have at NASA," said Alabama congressman Parker Griffith in a statement.

Well, you know, they would say that.. "...US Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama, whose state houses the Marshall Space Flight Center, a leader of Constellation's Ares rocket program."

Surely people can see why this backward hick wants yet another idiot single use rocket as the good ol' US of A's shuttle replacement.... seriously?

7. David Stever
    Flame

Turning Govt. over to the Companies

Shelby thinks that the agency which came up with The Stick would be willing to change their minds when a large gun is held against their head? Nothing like a little law to set that into stone. I think it would be funny now if the private sector ends up getting back to the moon before NASA figures out which end is their arse and which end is the mouth.

Marvelous Shelby, just marvelous.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

MSFC is the heart of the crewed space programme

And knows that if that ends they are likely to go down the pan of history.

The Aries 1 is solely about crew transport. The fact that so far it does not look ready to carry crew to the ISS untill ISS is ready to be de-orbited (or slightly later) does not seem to bother them too much.

The idea that cargo should be seperated from crew came from the last Shuttle disaster. Given the US has 2 seperate ranges of ELV's ranging from substantial to *very* substantial payload it seemd odd that neither of these could cut the mustard.

The language described suggests this is to stop the adminsitration from acting on the recommendations of the Augustine commision.

9. Luther Blissett

Proxies lowering or raising the temperature?

> Members of the US Congress are preparing to battle Obama's White House over control of NASA's Constellation moon-rocket program.

Is that in addition to, or instead of, the admirals of the USN battling the spooks of the CIA over control of NASA? Enquiring minds would like to know.

10. Snert Lee

NASA needs all the help it can get.

Of course Senator Shelby is motivated on the issue, but is that a bad thing if it means locking down some funding for NASA?

What's the one sure cure for global warming? Get off the globe!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like