back to article We made the kit that makes Freeview HD possible, boasts NEC

NEC piped up this week to reveal it supplied the DVB-T2 kit used to begin Freeview HD broadcasts earlier this month. The installation of the NEC equipment was overseen by the BBC and Arqiva, the company that owns the UK's terrestrial transmitter network. "DVB-T2 technology will deliver an increase in capacity of 67 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arnold Lieberman

Where's the USB dongles?

Surely more important for HTPC use...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Early birds get the worms.

Come on set-top box manufacturers, get on with it! I can't wait to have free DTT HD in my bedroom.

3. Fierce Guppy

A question about DVB-T2.

I have a Hauppauge HVR-2200 TV card and use it to receive New Zealand's DVB-T FreeView service which offers a mix of STD and HD channels broadcast in the H.264/HE-AAC video/audio format. Is there a difference in visual quality between HD DVD-T and HD DVD-T2 broadcasts?

Tony.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Not necessarily

There is not necessarily a difference in quality between DVB-T and DVB-T2 broadcasts, because the technology isn't relevant at that level. It's the underlying capacity of the multiplex that's affected.

Think of it more as the difference between two broadband connection speeds, say 4 megabit and 6 megabit. All it means is that you can send more information down the pipe.

In the configurations used in the UK, the difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2 is about 60% additional capacity, taking a mux up from 24 to a over 38 megabits.

It's then up to the operators to decide if they use the extra capacity to boost the allocation of an individual stream, or to squeeze in extra streams.

1. Fierce Guppy

Thank you, Nigel.

I learned more from your answer than I could from the entire Wiki-page on the matter.

Tony.

4. Llanfair
    Alert

Question on DVB-T2 and Multiplex B

I understand that Multiplex B will have DVB-T2, does that to receive anything on Multiplex B, we will need DVB-T2 adapters? Does that include BBC Four?

If this is the case, then there are going to be MANY people who will be very upset.

5. Nigel Whitfield.

Mux B doesn't exist after DSO

BBC Four is carried on Mux B in the pre-DOS configuration.

Post DSO, that's known instead as PSB3, which is the High Definition mux. BBC Four moves to PSB1, which is the new designation for the current BBC Mux A.

So, along with all the other SD services, it will still be available with a standard DVB-T receiver.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like