back to article Sunday night is Geminid night

The Geminid meteors will this year peak at 05:10 GMT on Monday morning, guaranteeing that for 90 per cent of Reg readers, the hour will be marked by cloud, driving rain and the annual sense of despair which follows the vain hope that we might for once cop an eyeful of a decent lightshow. In the unlikely event that the skies …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery
    Happy

lol

I lolled. The chances of us seeing ANYTHING in the UK sky at night is pretty much ZERO.

I really feel for UK asstrominers (sp).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What?

I can see plenty of stars out of my UK based window right now. Maybe if you opened the curtains?

2. me1004
    Thumb Up

Geminid - Bravo to the writer

As one journalist to another, that is a wonderful, even incredible lead. I can't stop laughing! Sitting here in warm, sunny Los Angeles (Well, I admit, its raining today), I can only count my blessings.

Thanks.

3. Danny van der Weide
    Coffee/keyboard

Be happy...

...you won't be able to see them!

Do you remember what happened at The day of the Triffids?

4. Andus McCoatover

Abdullah is set*

* Abdullah == http://www.mosqueclock.com/ (go on, click the 'fun' bit.)

It'll wake the dead. And my girl. As I set the normal alarms for 10 minutes before Abdullah calls for prayer, and she hates it, she's up and turning it off before Abdullah gets me nutting the concrete at morning prayer.

Before I remember I'm not a Muslim.

Perkele!!

We're forecast clear skies (and -20 degrees centigrade - should be a "Grand night out, Grommit - don't forget the crackers"). Abdullah will get me outabed for this. But, you folks have rarely seen the Northern lights* which makes a meteor shower look as spectacular as taking a leak in the general vicinity of that ISS piss-filter up there.

*http://finland.fi/Nature_Environment/aurora/index.html

I really hope you folks see it someday. You'll weep in awe, believe me.

Keep you posted.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

re: at 05:10 GMT on Monday morning, guaranteeing that for 90 per cent of Reg readers

those few who aren't asleep (probably with head on keyboard as this is IT :-p )

PH - a better streaking star to imagine

6. Gordon Henderson
    Thumb Up

Good Display...

Down here in deepest, darkest Devon on both Saturday and Sunday evenings (round about midnight). Starry skys, no moon and meteors!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well, that sucked, as per bleedin' usual.

Overcast cloudy skies all night and a thick fog rolling in off the fens. What a washout.

This topic is closed for new posts.