back to article Asus said to be making gadget inspired by gadget Apple is said to be making

You just can't argue with this kind of tittle-tattle (surely, 'insightful speculation' - Ed), can you? Asus is said to be preparing a handheld tablet with a 4in and/or 7in display and both mobile internet device and tablet PC functionality. It'll be dubbed the Eee Pad. So says a 'source' cited by DigiTimes - no need for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SuperTim

Well known......

Fictional character, surely.

Assuming one is referring to Edmund Blackadder when discussing the Blue stone of Galveston in comparison with the Spanish Infanta's Eyes.

I am pretty sure that wasn't a historical re-enactment.

2. lukewarmdog
    Pint

sounds suspiciously like

that other eagerly anticipated pad, the RegPad.

This imaginary market is getting flooded with imaginary product, perfect timing in the run up to the season of that imaginary red suited chap from the North Pole.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Beach

Come on. Someone should have gimp'd (I'm a Linux user, and can't use Photoshop) an eee-pad mockup onto the eee-babe-on-the-beach for this article.

4. Matt Bucknall

Fill in the missing word: Eee *BLANK*

Still waiting for the Asus 'Eee Reader' to materialize.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

EeePad?

Are you sure it wasn't just some French bloke talking about the iPad?

6. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Well known......

And they say the Teutonic races have no sense of humour...

Back to your three-day opera, laddie.

1. SuperTim

The Teutons would be confused.

They have put down the Wurst butties and are poring over the history of the UK monarchy to see who exactly made the statement. Hell, it will end up on Wikipedia now you have quoted it within a factual item, thereby cementing Blackadder into our history as an actual person.

Teenagers cheating on their history essays will be easy to spot mind.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Astounding

I predict worrisome times ahead. If pc companies start aping Apple products that have yet to be introduced they run the risk of maybe, one gloomy doom-filled day, producing something original.

gasp, shock, horror!

We must put a stop to this right now if we want to have any chance of stopping it at all. Apparently we may already be too late. I urge any and all Reg readers to pre-emptively boycott this imaginary product until such time when it becomes available.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Boycott?

The usual chorus of "I won't buy this [imaginary] product if it is more than 200 [imaginary] quid" on its way...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Confused

How someone can be at risk to create something original by copying something else (existing or not) is beyond me.

But then again, Apple has always been making shinier, more expensive copies of existing gear so it might be me that doesn't understand the meaning of the word original.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh come on!

Which PC manufacturer hasn't drawn up a POC tablet, some even get them to market only to discover that they are too cumbersome to use?

Sounds like someone found out that ASUS R&D are doing stuff you expect them to be doing and is now claiming an exclusive story!

Give me a break!

9. Captain TickTock
    Coat

EeeBarGum...

For wall-mounting said EeePad's behind the counter in northern pubs

10. Mark Greenwood
    Badgers

That's such a great headline

Non existent thing based on other non-existent thing might turn out to be similar.

11. Matthew LaShure
    Grenade

It's already here, just from a different company.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble that thinks this is a new innovation, but mini touch tablets are already here.

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/

They offer it in both a 5 and 7 inch version, fully capable of connecting to your cell providers network. Available with either Win XP or Win 7 on a SSD, the later being the more touch friendly. Unlike anything apple would ever support, this even has a built in slot for an SDHC card, also a 2 way USB connection to connect to another computer to share files and whatever else directly.

If you aren't happy with just the standard windows touch system, don't worry. Viliv has built in a fully supported touch menu themselves.

12. stuartnz
    Happy

@Matthew LeShure

That's a nice looking piece of kit. Does it come with some template Contacts pre-loaded, preferably the spokesmodel's phone number?

13. magnetik
    Joke

he said that she said ..

I find the title of the story ironic considering the Reg is saying something that another site said they heard some other guy say ...

14. JaitcH
    Go

ASUS - one of the best (better than Acer)

Although a small company we have 41 work stations each equipped with between three and six screens/computers per workstation and 50% are rotated for new equipment each year.

ASUS has consistently proved, to us, to be the best choice as they supply a full compliment of drivers and associated software whereas our Acer machines had only drivers for XP and Vista.

But the Acers do have one unusual feature, they are silent! Acer service still hasn't found the right driver or a driver that will work with our XP OS.

I think the secret is that Asus, in making computers for other OEM's, learns from others mistakes and avoids them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like