back to article Tesco iPhone priced, dated

The iPhone will hit Tesco stores nationwide on Monday, 14 December, the supermarket giant has revealed. Tesco_iphone_prices Tesco has three core iPhone plans to choose from You can bag yourself a free 8GB iPhone 3G or 16GB iPhone 3GS when you sign a two-year unlimited calls and text contract with Tesco. But be warned: the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Have a word...

£1440 spread over 2 years?!?! F**k off!!!

Even after taking into account the service plan (I pay less than half that for the exact same plan elsewhere) that's still a shocking amount of money for a phone. 'i' or otherwise.

Don't expect to see them flying off Tesco's shelves just yet.

2. MacRat

unkocked?

are the phones locked to the provider in UK?

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Did I read this correctly?

For the 3Gs

£20 x 12 months + £407 = £647

or

£60 x 24 months + £50 = £1,490

?

1. Chris007
      FAIL

@Did I read this correctly?

You did - it's called Hire Purchase

for an example visit quickquid.co.uk - Was doing a later shift and happened to spot the advert on telly, an amazing 2356% APR. Thought they'd missed a decimal point but no it was real!

2. Seanie Ryan
      Terminator

brainless

so you compare a 12 month plan to a 24 month plan and are surprised that the latter is more expensive??? AMAZING !!!

added to the fact that you compared a limited call plan to an unlimited call plan also..... LOL

just in case you cant work it out fully on your own, 647 x 2 = 1294

And for an extra 196 over the 2 years you can have unlimited calls and texts.

and in case you are still having problems, no the phone DOES NOT cost 1490. The phone PLUS all the calls and texts over 2 years cost 1490.

now get daddy to pat you on the head and sign your notebook to say its all your own work.

4. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Joke

Blah!

Now it really will be the coolest phone around, esp if placed next to frozen peas in trolley.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh dear.

Some twit will be daft enough to think that because it is in Tesco, that it is a good deal. Do someone a favour; if you see anyone looking these offers over, give them a calculator ... they'll thank you for it.

6. wolfmeister

hmmmm

well i signed up for the 'alert me news' but look at the two account options - 60 quid (too much) for 'unlimited' (but actualy limited by a fup) or 20 quid (good price) for not quite enuff credit - what a let down

7. GhilleDhu

Locked to O2?

The main question I have is if its still locked to O2 or not... O2 is rubbish where I live so a bit pointless for me to even think about buying one before I can choose what network I want to have it on.

And no I dont want to jailbreak it to then have to spend time every version upgrade trying to get round it again.

1. Gulfie
      Thumb Up

Re: Locked to O2

You can get your O2 iPhone unlocked... free for contract holders after 12 months, £15 for PAYG at any time.

8. Stef 2
    Jobs Horns

Non, non, no

Non-upgradeable storage

Non-removable battery

No multi-tasking...

Still, it'll keep the uninformed masses content for a while at Xmas, in the adverts during X-Factor.

9. Andre 3
    FAIL

Competition...

..is so over-rated. These are the same prices as everyone else. Nice to see the financial clout of Tesco won over Apple.

10. Robin Jobber
    Go

Existing iphones..

Hmm.. wonder if they'll allow transfers of existing iPhones to their tarrifs - mine is at the end of its 18months, and the Tesco tarrifs look appealing....

11. Lockwood

Clubcard

Clubcard point calculator!

Clubcard point balance checker.

Put your card number in and it tells you your balance.

Tie it into the GPS... Whenever you enter a store it does a lookup and tells you how many points you currently have and based on past purchasing trends, estimate how many points you'll earn that visit.

Marketing stalking? There's an app for that.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clubcard points calculation

2 per pound spent at £500 is 1,000 points.

1,000 points is 10 pounds straight or £40 in tesco clubcard deals eg it'll buy your T3 magazine subscription.

Is that a signficant discount on the Apple store price?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Cue...

the usual "I don't want an iPhone", "Apple are evil", "my phones better than your phone" nonsense.

Asides from that, why are people asking if they'll be locked to O2?? They'll be locked to the TESCO MOBILE NETWORK I'd have thought no?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Do your research...

Tesco Mobile is a joint venture with O2 and uses the O2 network

1. Puck
        Stop

@Do your research

Don't be so fast to bite the person's head off. Just because an MNVO hires airtime from a network operator doesn't mean the former doesn't have the capacity to lock the phones they sell. I can confirm, Tesco mobile DO have the capacity to.

14. UkForest

Yeah right, every little helps!

My iPhone 3G on O2=

What I get...

Mins 600 x 15p (Average on Tesco) = £90

Texts 500 x 7.5p (Average on Tesco) = £37.5

Tarriff allowance would cost £127.50 on O2!!!

But, when you look at what I use...

Mins 200 x 15p (Average on Tesco) = £30

Texts 600 x 7.5p (Average on Tesco) = £45

Tesco Allowance = £60 for £20 charge, add on the difference (& the cost of the phone averaged out over two years to make it fair! (£9.25))...

So Tesco would charge me £44.25 pounds for what currently costs me £40/£45...

Yeah right, every little helps!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

15. DEAD4EVER

iphones on contract

im sorry but i cant stand thease contract phones your paying goodness knows how much a month 60 80 pound i mean its just crazy. im on pay as you go currently with my lg viewty and sure you pay for the phone in full but at least you top it up when you need to. i think all phones are simply overpriced and the iphone simply is overhyped just because its a apple theres lots of other phones out there not just apples.

1. Gulfie
      Grenade

WTF?

You need to learn a little about the mobile phone market.

All phones are subsidised when sold by a network. Unlocked phones are available but cost the earth simply because they are just that - unlocked, so the purchaser cannot be tied to a network. This is also py PAYG phones are older/simpler models, or the current models at a high, high price - because there is little or no reason for the network to subsidise the phone. Most can be unlocked within 15 minutes, after all.

Is the iPhone any more expensive than other phones of equivalent functionity? Yes. THis is simply down to Apple's pricing policy. The phone costs less than $200 to make but the networks are paying quite a subsidy - for example AT&T pays a $450 subsidy per phone on a monthly contract phone.

If the networks could charge less, they would - because the phone is a crowd-puller. However if you are paying $750 per phone and selling then on at $300, you've got to charge $450 over the contract life just to get the subsidy back.

And that, my friends, is why the iPhone will not drop in price significantly, until Apple chooses to drop their wholesale price. Hell, over, freezing..

16. Gaius
    FAIL

Tescophone

I wonder if it'll be so hip now it's the Tescophone.

17. Michael Downie

Ouch

That's a touch pricey. Much as I love the iPhone I wouldn't have got one if i would have to pay that much. It's not *that* good. I much prefer my deal, Unlocked iPhone 3g off eBay for £250 with my T-Mobile staff plan sim, £0 a month and the equivalent of a Flext 40 price plan and unlimited data. Yes please haha

18. kparsons84

good deal

shame you only got the crippled 3g though michael - to be honest, id much rather pay more and have the 3gs than the slow 2008 model. tesco deal aint so bad - unlimited web for a year, and can still jailbreak during or after that period.

19. Anonymous Coward 4
    Coat

i got my calculator out

Tesco, price for Iphone on 12 month contract is £320. 12 months at £20 per month = £240. THis is a total cost over twelve months of £560.

Tesco price for phone on PAYG is £440. 12 months at £10 per month = £120.

This is a total cost over 12 months of £560.

No one else I can find does anything under an 18 month contract.

These prices are based on a white 16Gb 3GS.

Seems like a bloody good deal to me! Ok, coat, hook, shoulders, door......

20. Anonymous Coward 4
    Coat

i did some more calcs

I did a few more calcs and worked out the total cost of an Iphone on various deals from the main suppliers. All calcs done with white 16Gb 3GS and figures checked on suppliers website today 21/12/2009 for NEW customer. (Don't forget your PAC code guys)

supplier phone cost monthly months total

Tesco white 16gb £320 £20 12 £560

Tesco PAYG £440 £10 12 £560

Orange white 16gb £185 £29 18 £713

o2 White 16gb £185 £29 18 £714

Orange white 16gb £126 £29 24 £830

Vodafone white 16gb £149 £30 24 £869

Orange white 16gb £87 £44 18 £880

o2 White 16gb £87 £44 18 £880

Orange white 16gb £87 £34 24 £909

Vodafone white 16gb £89 £35 24 £929

Vodafone white 16gb £59 £40 24 £1,019