back to article 2009's Top Nas boxes

More and more Register Hardware readers started storing files in network-attached drives this year, and we began our coverage of this hot topic in earnest. We haven't looked at every model from every manufacturer, but here are the Nas boxes that most found favour in 2009. Qnap TS-219P Turbo Qnap TS-219P Turbo Nas RH Editor' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. martin burns
    WTF?

Wot No Drobo?

That is all

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

Drobo for 2009? a new version?

Did El Reg miss a new 2009 version? surely you cant be meaning a 19" rack mountable DroboPro? more of a professional box not really a home NAS and so hence outside of el Regs scope I fear.

The Original Drobo review on here is 2008 so doesn't really qualify for best of this year. it got 70% as it was nicey but pricey.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/20/review_drobo_droboshare/

1. Neoc

Reply to post: Drobo for 2009? a new version?

Why not? I have a 19" rack at home. A work colleague was a part-time musician and decided to move state - he sold most of his stuff, including the 19" rack he was using for his musical equipment.

2. AOD
      FAIL

RE: Wot no drobo

Drobo out of the box isn´t an NAS, you have to add the Droboshare sled for it to be available over a network.

2. MarkOne
    FAIL

Wot no sheevaplug?

Turn any USB HDD/RAID into a NAS, without the limitations of having ONLY what the manufacturer wants you to run on there...

My Sheevaplug based NAS also does esniper, postfix/dovecot mail, bittorrent and loads of other server/scheduled stuff...

Cheaper than a NAS too...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

But its a convertor not a nas - bodge not a solution.

doesn't really count in my book..

two flashey light boxes,

Extra power bricks,

extra cables extra sockets...

More wasted leccytrixty.

take two bottles into the shower if you want.

3. Owen Williams
    WTF?

Cough Drobo Cough

Drobo and Drobo Share.

Or DIY with OpenSolaris and ZFS:

http://blogs.sun.com/mebius/entry/diy_home_nas_box_with1

4. rpjs

Do any of them

Support an existing-formatted Mac HFS+ disk? I have a dead MacBook that I'd like to rescuew the HDD from...

5. jules 4
    Thumb Up

Maplin

I got one from Maplin 18 months ago, dual Sata, Raid 0/1 fit your own drives £80.

It might not be the fastest or have the best GUI, but it's well worth £80 !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Maplin

Was it a NAS box not a USB caddy?

I stopped shopping at maplin for IT stuff when they erm.. opened.. they dont have a clue! and should stick to components.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Shocked..

I've been ranting and raving about QNAP for years..

Now el Reg agrees Superb Result!

Its a great little Linux Server box albeit a lite version. and very easy for the non linux user too with builtin web server mysql download manager. and if thats not enough there more QPKG downloadable apps from vpn to mldonkey.

now if only theuy would sort the price out for the 419 and 519...

7. Mubes
    Alert

Intel SS4200 didn't make the list

....the best kept open secret I've seen in a while. £400 for 4TB of storage INCLUDING drives. OK, so you get to put it together yourself and the drives aren't hot-swap, but that's hardly a big inconvenience for the target market for this type of device. The stock (EDS) firmware won't set the world alight either, but that can easily be replaced with WHS or Linux -- with the blessing of Intel, who sell this as a system builders box (hell, they even do a version without the firmware in the first place, for exactly that reason).

Mubes

8. Jim Deakin

No Netgear ReadyNAS either?

so not quite all then...

9. adam payne
    Stop

Terastation III It's not a good choice

We have one at work and it's been nothing but trouble ever since it arrived.

The web interface is clunky, the AD integration drops out all the time (at least once a day), it's backup routine stops working for no reason just simply says error and quite a lot of features are missing such as the ability to choose which days it backs up on and being able to change security settings more than just the shares etc etc.

If you want to bang your head against a brick wall go ahead a buy one.

10. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Cough Drobo Cough

DroboShare is so last year.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/20/review_drobo_droboshare/

11. Bod

QNAP

Not surprised about QNAP as I keep coming back to it in my research as the best all round.

Problem is however that whilst it has the maximum geek features, they're not great for bang for buck, especially when it comes to the number of drive bays and included (or not) storage in the price.

I'm a big fan however of Atom based systems for stuff like this, having been impressed by Atom for netbooks. Great for low power but yet aren't too slow for the kind of tasks a NAS would be asked to do.

12. fattybacon
    FAIL

Wot no Synology?

I'm astonished that no Synology NAS made the grade, they have a compelling range of NASs to suit every pocket and their interface is what QNAP spends all it's time catching up with. The range of applications out of the box are top drawer (apart from rtorrent which is a bit stinky but you can replace it with transmission via the same package manager as the QNAP) . Also they are all DLNA and UPNP-AV media servers for all your consoles, media clients and compooters.

13. frankgobbo

Wot no Thecus?

Thecus released a 7 and 8 bay NAS this year.. and the Thecus N5200B Pro is still an awesome product.

Thecus! Yeah!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like