back to article Stanford prof pops lid on paint-on battery tech

Boffins in America have developed a "one-dimensional" nanomaterial liquid which can be painted onto walls or pieces of paper to create working batteries. "If I want to paint my wall with a conducting energy storage device, I can use a brush," says Yi Cui, materials engineering prof at Stanford. "These nanomaterials are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Coat

Groan...

"Decorators will soon be charging more"

That is truly awful.

I'll get your coat (of paint). And mine please.

2. EddieD

Hang on..

Can a 1-dimensional object have a diameter?

3. Ian Halstead
    Thumb Up

Chortle...

Another decisive blow for the Reg Sub-Heads writing team. You make the Sun look decidedly amateur guys.

4. Henny
    Go

"the paint can handle very rapid discharge rates"

Huummmm.... electric fences that you simply paint onto walls? I like that idea... maybe that'll stop people key-ing cars...

5. Paul_Murphy
    Paris Hilton

I guess it's all about the surface area.

Just like black-powder.

The smaller the particle the quicker to discharge, and charge, though overall capacity may be the same it doesn't last as long.

Sounds good, especially interesting is the places where this can be applied when compared with a normal battery.

Though I find it hard to believe that the description of 'one-dimension' can be taken seriously.

ttfn

PH - cos her personality's more likely to be one dimensional, though her physical side is clearly operating in all 4 (easily) observable dimensions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"Because paper is light"

No, actually, paper isn't light. A single sheet of paper may be light, but paper is basically wood and it's heavy. Maybe he's always had his students to carry boxes of paper to the photocopier for him?

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Haven't I read about a paint-on battery before?

I thought I read about something before, a battery material that forms to the inside of a device case - maybe by being flat (geometrically). Not exactly a paint perhaps. Or was that an earlier report of this thing?

8. unitron
    Headmaster

Not a geometry professor then?

If it's one dimensional then I suppose you attach an electrode at each end, but wouldn't a cross-section of zero mean an infinitely high internal impedence, meaning a current of less than one electron over any time period you care to name?

9. Mike 61
    Pint

All matter in this universe.....

is 3 dimensional, with the possible exception of some people I have met. That must be a translation error for nano-scale flat. I am sure it has at least the height, depth, and width of an electron...

I'll be painting some on me pint to keep the unwanted hands off of it..

10. Neoc

Hmmmm

Very nice, but call me when they've developed a photovoltaic paint I can use on the outside of my house to charge the battery paint I have on the inside of my house.

I live in Queensland - lots of sun a lot of the time - this would be a perfect power arrangement.

11. Big-nosed Pengie
    FAIL

It's what?

One-dimensional? Then it truly is the most remarkable invention of all time! An imaginary mathematical construct made real! Anything one-dimensional would have zero mass and, of course, it would be invisible. You could stack an infinite number of them in your shirt pocket.

The world's energy problems have been solved!

12. Allan George Dyer

I can't wait to say...

"I have to plug my computer into the wall"

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One-dimensional

One-dimensional is a mathematical construction used for theorizing.

As Mike61 pointed out, there is nothing one-dimensional in the real world. Paper may only be a hundredth of a an inch thick, but one- and two-dimensional mathematical figures have NO thickness whatsoever - thus they can only exist in mathematical constructions.

Of course, something that is only a few nanometers thick is probably the best real-life approximation of one-dimensional we'll ever get, but by the way they pasted the nano-battery material on the paper, I doubt that the material is that thin.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like