back to article Adware touts $1 bribe to prospective zombies

An adware distributor is offering to pay punters $1 to install their crud. The bribe comes attached to malware, specifically an application bundle that includes adware and agents that change browser home pages, detected by Sunbelt Software as C4DLMedia and classified as a medium risk threat. The offer of payment is buried in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lansalot
    Thumb Up

excellent !!

Think I'll fire up a few virtual machines and get cracking. Only need them active for 24 hours before payment. Allegedly. And then, straight into the recycle bin with them.

Anyone else up for some of that ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

heh

It'd probably be YOU that the authorities come roaring after to safe the internets from criminals, though, rather than the Russian affiliate mills...

2. Kev K
      Thumb Up

Was just thinking the same

:)

The post is required, and must contain letters.

2. Tony Hoyle

Good money maker

I reckon I could write a script to build VMs, infect them and tear them down. They might get suspicious after the first couple of thousand though.

3. hahnchen
    Happy

I did this once.

It was called AllAdvantage.

1. Daniel B.
      Happy

AllAdvantage

Hm... though that one was fairly harmless, the only thing it did was to analyze hour browsing behavior and show relevant ads in the Viewbar I had docked in the bottom of the screen. In fact, I don't remember it being much of a resource hog at all!

Also, AllAdvantage gave much more than $1 to users... then again, you had to accumulate a big chunk of "usage hours" to get any money. And thus, MyAdvantage was born... ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Flame Suit ON!

@ all: the software will most def have anti-vm, anti-sandbox and all other bells and whistles to stop you doing this, also you need to completly remove the infection, get a fresh ip address and then start all over again, good luck if your on cable with virgin media, they refuse to let you change you're ip address more than a 3 times every 4 hours or so..

@ all again: i studied for 3 years and then it took me 1 full year to get employed, if i didnt have access to programs like this, i.e nothing needed to startup and potential profits of $100 per day i would have been homeless, starving and most likely a skinny ass dying off mofo. Would you rather i went out and robbed grannies? or just distrubute a exe? not my fault people are too stupid to know what they are running!! (i would have worked in tesco but couldnt get a job anywhere due to current climate)

P.S anyone who ever gets infected by these are mostly looking to do something illegal themselfs i.e download free software/movies/games, so what goes around comes around.. if they are willing to run software without checking it then im willing to make a quick buck out of them.

ex-PPI-er

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems that crime

and now stupidity no longer pays...

@AC Flame Suit ON! - You still fail to impress me so I will have no compassion for you. Anyway, with your way of thinking you might have many years of unemployment ahead of you, unless you do something really illegal.

This topic is closed for new posts.