back to article E-Commerce defence thwarts online libel case

A newspaper publisher was not liable for user comments posted after an online article and will not have to pay out libel damages, the High Court has ruled. The Court upheld the publisher's right under the E-Commerce Regulations not to be responsible for user comments until informed of them. Newsquest also defeated a libel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John
    Joke

Old joke

'Crooked solicitors spent client money on a Rolex, loose women and drink'.

The rest of the money, they just wasted.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But it was Justice Eady...

A judge well known to the readers of Private Eye, a satricial magazine m'lud.

Here's a bit from Wikipedia:

"Eady was repeatedly rebuked by the Court of Appeal for his conduct during the libel case Desmond v. Bower. Eady disallowed several pieces of evidence against Desmond which the Appeal Court ruled were clearly relevant to the case. After hearing the evidence, the jury found in favour of Mr Bower."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Aliens. It must be aliens.

They have clearly kidnapped Eady and have subjected him to some kind of mind-reversal probe(*). So far, the results are entirely positive.

(*) - aka the "Gephardtization" process :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different rules?

Do you have different rules over there? I know that in the US, truth is a positive defense (pardon, defence) against libel. Are papers over there not allowed to publish stuff like that even if it's true?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange therefore......

that i was found to have defamed "mickey mouse" even though "mickey mouse" could only be identified through obtaining a Court order and forcing the ISP to say who it was and thus who was being spoken of. One thing is for certain NO.,I repeat NO, such thing as Justice comes out of any Court, of that be assured by one knows (I have "100 T shirts" believe me).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like