back to article Google UK boss: Think of us as a newsagent

The head of Google UK reassured MPs yesterday that the massive ad broker does not steal content from impoverished publishers, and should be thought of more as a kindly local newsagent with a massive server farm at the back of the shop. Matt Brittin gave the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee the impression that he was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well they have a point

Newspapers and old media, need a rocket shoved up their posteriors.

There are many ideas that are feasible today, and would turn it all round, it is actually quite simple but it does require a bit of visionary thinking and actually getting into the swing of the cyber plane and meat space.

But they are too dull and arrogant to work it out, until its too late for them.

We have always been here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

google estate agents

I think google will be too late to kill off local papers with their free property thing. I was talking to an estate agent a while back, and he said that almost no business comes from the local paper these days anyway. It's all coming from the web. He said there were 2 reasons they still advertise in the paper:

1. the seller wants to see it there

2. the paper is struggling so much already that they're desperate for ads, and offer them at a huge discount

From the sound of it, google will have zero impact on the local papers. But the local papers will be gone soon anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

For me ...

The google is most like the ideal middleman (should that be middleperson?) as they introduce people with different needs on an agreed theme.

They take an enquirer to a provider (or potential provider) and by doing so charge a small fee to the provider provided or providing the provider wishes to use the google as an introduction agency or introduction agent.

It seems the google is more like an introduction agency rather than a newsagents?

4. this

Metaphors

Parasite? Newsagent?? Surely they're honest-to-goodness Information Pimps, and as such perform a valuable social function.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What's Stopping Google Going for Goal and Great Game Win Win?*

When Google start making News for Paper Tiger Media Barons to Distribute, will Search Engines have automatically Morphed into Future Intelligent Present Placement of Current Leading Information Machines.

Which is a New World Order Program which can only be Bettered by more Advanced Beta IntelAIgents, and that would be a Most Welcome Addition.

* Vital Algorithms for Remote Control of Key Trigger Events?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fark You Murdoch

The days of a large number of news agencies and PR people and paparazzi's creating 'news' to send to a FEW major newspapers is over.

Now the bulk of news is broken on the web directly, bypassing his filter. Google is not to blame for this.

He can remove his newspapers from Google with Robots.txt

He can remove any sites that clone his newspapers, with DMCA take down notice.

It's not Googles problem that Murdoch cannot make money on newspapers now, he only ever could control newsprint because it was an expensive market with just a FEW players. Now it's a cheap market with MILLIONS of players.

A news story is just as likely to be broken on a blog as a newspaper (see 8 million GPS queries from US authorities in a year, that was broken in a blog). Murdochs news often comes from Fark.com links now, I read it on Fark, then I read the mangled version of it from Sun or Sky or Fox.

If I can read a story via Fark today, why would I pay tomorrow to read some distorted half truth version of it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like