back to article Scumbag malware authors exploit Virginia Tech tragedy

Pond-dwelling virus writers have crafted a malware attack that poses as camera phone footage of the shootings at Virginia Tech University that claimed 32 lives on Monday. Spam email messages carry a photograph of gunman Cho Seung-hui and claim to link to a Brazilian movie website carrying footage of the campus shootings. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Russell Sakne

Pond-dwelling

I always said ducks had a sinister side.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Camera phone footage of the shootings!!!!!!

Yes, these malware authors are totally reprehensible. But are the people flocking to ghoulishly view supposed footage of the shootings any better?

3. Gordon Fecyk

How to prevent people flocking ghoulishly to malware

Don't give them Admin access on computers they don't own.

If you own the computer, take Admin access away from yourself. Yes, you read that right.

http://antiwindowscatalog.com/?mode=rant&id=5

By this point, if you give yourself Admin back to install something like this, then you deserve the resulting ridicule and you can't blame Microsoft.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've gone one step further

Forget removing admin access. I don't even let myself USE my computer.

I'm actually not entirely sure how this got posted, to be honest.

5. Sean Healey

Windows Admin

Have you guys actually tried to use a Windows machine in a non-admin context?

As a seasoned Unix admin, I've tried many times to use the same working methods on my 'doze machine as I do with my 'nix boxes, but every time I run into the brick wall known as the registry. A lot of applications either break or malfunction in strange ways if registry write access is denied (which seems to be the case even with 'Power Users' membership).

This is because Windows software authors tend to write their applications to store user preferences and settings in the registry - requiring write (therefore privileged) access to the system central repository, where a Unix software author would write the same data to a user-specific config file, requiring nothing more than the users own profile permissions...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like