back to article Internet and journos fertilise scrotum-ripping drug panic

Durham police are finding out the hard way about the power of the internet to mislead, distort and amplify, as a relatively measured warning about a legal high gallops towards Snopesian urban myth status as the tale of a drug that makes you rip your bollocks off with your bare hands. Acting Sergeant Michael Urwin, from Barnard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John G Imrie

In other words, this was not the police, but press sensationalising the issue.

British press create mountain out of mole hill, well who'd a thunk it.

Though reading the Sun while on LSD may well make you blind to reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let me say

"Though reading the Sun while on LSD may well make you blind to reality."

You don't need any help from LSD for that.

2. Somerset John

Reality check!

Errrrrr.......Is the LSD actually necessary?

2. jake Silver badge

It's got a nice beat ...

I can meow to it.

(If you can spot that reference, AND understand why it's funny in this context, you need to put down the keybr0ad & back away from the computer ... )

3. Joe K
    Boffin

No Brass Eye quotes?

"One girl puked up her own pelvis bone.....what a fuckin disgrace."

1. Citizen Kaned

cake...

its a fucking disgrace.

and remember kids, cake is a made up drug.

loved brass eye!

4. Anonymous John
    Happy

Scrotum-ripping

This "story" appeared in The Argus (Brighton) yesterday.

The Google ads were for Mephedrone of course.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

some of these legal drugs

are quite good really. and cheaper than the real thing. anyone had any "sparkle"?

6. Dan Herd

Before anyone else, hopefully...

...remember, it is a completely 'made up' drug and may also be known as 'Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpack'.

It's a f*****g disgrace.

(etc.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cheerleading

As expected, the usual cheerleading from the Press in the run up to the ban on legal highs.

Stock up on plant food for Xmas kids, I do believe the legislation comes in at the end of this month...

8. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Ban?

Will nobody think of the plant children?

9. Citizen Kaned

hacks are hyprocites

might not get posted but i know for a fact that many of the red tops hacks are coke fiends. funny how they get all high and mighty isnt it?

1. Greg J Preece

Even here?

What, even this renowned red-topped institution? Say it isn't so, El Reg!

10. Matthew Anderson

meow meow

Apparently the meow meow comes from it being sometimes cut with Ketamine which has the nickname "ket ket" - see, ket ket, kat kat, meow meow. Yawn...

Anyway - some of my friends took it at the weekend and danced the night away, no hospital visits needed. No for much longer though ey, well not legally any way.

Another one bites the dust!

11. Elmer Phud
    Pint

Drugs are bad m'kay

I've been doing acetylsalicylic acid.

You don't get much out of it but there's no headache when you come down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's just beer. Don't be such a pussy, mmmkay.

I'm a fan of ethanoic acid. Lovely with battered gadus morhua.

12. Jonathan
    Thumb Up

i'm actually impressed

"On learning of its existence, Sergeant Urwin set about researching mephedrone. He produced a report for internal police consumption, which looked at the evidence for the spread of mephedrone usage, as well as the degree of harm suffered by users of this drug."

if more coppers were like Sgt. Urwin....

1. keddaw
      Megaphone

HARM???

We don't judge drugs based on 'facts' like harm, we judge drugs based on the expected moral outrage of newspapers.

13. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re:meow

I think that was the Mail getting a bit mixed up, bless it. As far as I know it gets called 'meow' because it's MDMCAT, rather than MDMA.

Except it's methylone which is MDMCAT, not mephedrone. So general confusion. But anyway, all you need to know is that drugs are bad and the rest is just unneccessary detail, yeah?

1. Citizen Kaned

mail getting mixed up?

how very dare you. they know it all. they even reported on how heroine was made from cannabis. obviously some kind of alchemy the rest of us werent aware of.

2. Matthew Anderson
      Pirate

re meow

@But anyway, all you need to know is that drugs are bad and the rest is just unneccessary detail, yeah?

Yes Sarah, good Sarah. :-D Me suspects you didn't inhale at uni right? ;-)

14. kissingthecarpet
    Pirate

"Someone call an ambulance"

I think its really funny when someone gets more stoned on weed than they can handle and starts gibbering & demanding that an ambulance is called etc. I remember one fool maintaining that his heart had moved up to his throat. Usually they just maintain that they know they're "going to die".

My favourite is the bloke who'd taken a small number of shrooms. we were all sitting in the(psychedelically decorated) living room - he was looking really unhappy. Someone asked him what was wrong and he said "I never thought the back of a police van would look like this!" We told him where he actually was & he cheered up.

On the subject of hypocrisy, I've got stoned with self-confessed Sun journos & their line was "You'd be a hypocrite for the money that Murdoch pays"

1. Citizen Kaned
      Happy

yup.

ive seen people forget how to breeth on acid (was funny as the only way he could do it was the lay down!) and an old ex-g/f of mine also convinced herself she was paralysed. the only way i could coax her out of it was to hold a ciggie about 1m away from her. so she HAD to reech for it.

happy days! :)

15. John Ozimek

A reader comments...

A reader further comments (by e-mail - thank you sir...you know who you are):

""Meow meow" is the cute-sounding nickname for a currently legal substance capable of producing a degree of excitement in party situations. It ought not to be confused with Miou-miou - a French actress capable of providing excitement to gentlemen of a certain age in most situations."

Also not to be confused with Mau Mau, a Kenyan rebel from the 1950s who would hack your scrotum off with a machete

1. Rob
      Coat

Ouch

No point in letting us know that, cause either way your still gonna lose a scrotum ;)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meow nickname

would be from MCAT

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=3597

mystery solved thanks to FRANK :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meow, miaou, meouw?

Ah, but why MCAT?

Well because Mephedrone (4-MMC) (C11H15NO) is known as 4-methylmethCAThinone and/or 4-methyl-N-methylCAThinone. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone)

Anyway - stop talking to Frank, you know he talks bollocks. (Having knowingly cited Wikipedia immediately above I am fully aware of the irony of this last statement ).

17. J-Wick
    Thumb Up

Come on meow, let's be rational.

Props to the cop for actually taking time to research the issue. Meow if only the press could stop sensationalizing then we'll be sorted. But that won't see papers will it meow?

18. Schultz
    Happy

Dangerous!

I like the following statement in the original newspaper article:

"[mephedrones] chemical formula is one molecule different to Ecstasy"

That would put it in the same class of drugs as heroin, speed, crystal, ethanol, and polysaccharide. Outlaw the bunch now!!!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ick

The thing you need to be worried about is Methedrone .. note the slight spelling difference.

While Mephedrone seems to be relatively harmless, Methedrone is highly addictive with rapidly increasing levels of tolerance with possible risk of ... it's the drug-dealer's dream drug, it's cheap and it gets its hooks into you very quickly ... personally I wouldn't touch it with a very long barge pole.

Sites such as bluelight will give you more informed information ... as ever do your research before you ingest anything, and above all be careful out there.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Scrotum ripping entertainment

If there's a drug out there that results in some idiot ripping his scrotum off, I really don't have a problem with that.

Perhaps it'll help clean up the gene pool a bit.

21. Richard Jukes
    Stop

Called Meow because...

It is called Meow because many people believe it to be a concentrated and powder form of 'khat' which is a root vegetable native to Africa. Khat became very popular last year in the club circuit - however obviously the profit margins were not great enough and dealers moved onto 'Meow' passing it off as a concentrated form of 'khat'.

Its usage is rife at the moment, mostly because it is legal and easier to get hold of - not to mention that other more 'traditional' drugs have gone up in price and gone down in quality.

I have tried it, and I for one think its a waste of time. Only effects I got were a slight (and I mean very slight) distortion of normality and relaxation. It just takes the edge off. Side effects I noticed were very dry and cracking lips.

It really wouldnt surprise me if it was also being applied to Cannabis as some Cannabis seems to be too 'dusty' compared to normal. Obviously it is being added to try make the absolutly terrible Cannabis available in recent years more potent.

Dont listen to the Media nor the Police when they say Cannabis has gotten stronger, commercial grade cannabis has actually gotten far far weaker in the last four years. Yes I concede that there IS stronger Cannabis around, however the quantity of said Cannabis available is not on a commercial scale - as it tends to be grown in small batches by the home grower - again due to the terrible quality of 'commercial cannabis' - and sold for at greatly inflated prices, £10 a gram or even £20 a gram for the best quality cannabis is not unusual now.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it IS related to khat

Where amphetamines come from ephedra, cathinones come from khat!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like