back to article Q-Waves Wireless USB AV Kit

It’s often useful to be able to connect your PC to an HDTV, perhaps to play the latest Call of Duty epic on a large screen or give a presentation at work. It’s not that difficult either, as long as you’ve got a suitable cable or adaptor. But if you’re the sort of leading-edge gadget fiend who prefers to do away with wires …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned
    FAIL

short sighted review?

i dont mind cables. but since its about an 8-9m between lounge pc and hdtv there will be lag from cables i guess? plus isnt dvi/vga/hdmi limited to a certain distance on cables? if this did 1080p i might be interested.

2. Scott Broukell
    WTF?

Cables, shmables ...

Urmm .. so this gizmo still requires a video cable, from the receiver to the telly / monitor AND requires a power cable to said receiver box. So that's adding a cable to the eggwation, or is my brain still under the duvet, (quite possible, it's happened before).

luv n hugs, Scott.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What about sound?

All fine and well having wireless video but it's no good if the sound is still coming out of the tinny laptop speakers! Plug it into the computer speakers then.. oh wait..

4. Bill 2

Nice but limited

I can actually see the appeal of this product but it just has too many limitations for my needs - the line of sight requirement being the main one. I completely agree that it will be useful for business and training purposes but I really want something that will (for example) use my existing wireless network to connect my PC (in the bedroom) to the TV (in the lounge). I dont really want to go down the wireless streamer route because I would like the full functionality of my PC on my TV and I also dont want to hook up a media type PC to the TV because I want to keep all my files in one place (i.e. on the PC I have in the bedroom).

Anyone got any ideas?

5. Edwin
    Thumb Up

Yes!

Now, set up the pairs so that each receiver will work with any transmitter and vice versa, and then a 'hand over' function in the software to transfer control between transmitters, and we can do away with the stupid long VGA cables in our meeting rooms.

6. Stuart Moore
    Megaphone

Second delay

A delay of about a second? Surely video-audio sync would make that completely unwatchable?

7. Jamie Kitson

Re: First Three Posts

1) Lag from a long cable? LMFAO or whatever it is the kids say these days. Apparently you can use up to about 45 feet without an amplifier.

2) Agree, you might as well get a long HDMI cable.

3) I'm not 100% sure that this device does audio, but the article is titled AV and HDMI does audio.

8. Annihilator
    FAIL

Audio failures

Oi, audio buffs - note the "The final piece of the kit is a small dock unit that has HDMI, VGA and stereo outputs"

Emphasis on the "stereo outputs". It's trasmitting audio with the same lag as the video.

However, why is this review mentioning games, especially COD? This USB device will be removing any graphics hardware from the equation - goodbye any form of 3D acceleration, unless they've also squeezed an nvidia mobile chipset into that USB stick.

9. Steve 13
    Thumb Down

FAIL

This is a bit of kit for meeting rooms, not living rooms.

As a previous commentard already said, mentioning games in the same article where you point out that the graphics hardware of your PC will be bypassed in favour of a USB device is stupid.

As for watching DVD's (or blueray), great, no cable, but also not in HD and in stereo. No thanks.

10. Alex Walsh

Projectors?

So if I had a wall mounted projector, could I use this to link up a HDMI switch on the other side of the room that has BD player, Xbox 360 etc plugged into it?

11. Adam 10
    FAIL

Solution looking for a problem?

So, in a few years our laptops might all have a UWB transmitter so we can do this in conference rooms rather than plugging and unplugging VGA cables all the time. Programme the Crestron so you can select which device to bring up on the big screen, and away you go.

But in a consumer sense... there is no application. If you have to be 3m from the screen to get decent transfer rates, and you get a 1-second lag, and you lose the hardware acceleration of your dedicated graphics chipset, then it's a very silly piece of kit.

I'll stick with my HDMI wallplates thankyou very much.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like